SHOCKED BY Tokai Model ES-60 guitar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davido

Reaction score
The subject line was intended to get your attention. My apologies for those
of you that were somewhat mislead.

Two weeks ago my new ES -60 was delivered. I ordered a natural flame
maple finish. I had only seen pictures of this guitar on the internet.

Much to my surprise it was bright YELLOW in colour :eek: :eek:
I do mean BRIGHT !!

I was told that this was the standard Tokai vintage natural finish on the
ES 120 and ES -60. The company is apparently trying to duplicate the look of the early Gibson 335's natural finish.

I was expecting a straw/honey/light brownish sort of colour.

My Question: Is this the typical finish for these models ? (as I have been informed)

I'm getting used to the colour gradually, and I like the guitar in general.
I just think that the internet photos were either done poorly or that a more natural colour of finish really does exist.

Thanks for your replies.

I sent ArthurS an email with sample photos.

Would be pleased to do the same for others if it would help.

Here are the pictures Dave sent me:

tok335-1.jpg
tok335-2.jpg

As I said, I'm no expert on the subject, but these look like two different colors to me. Even though one is Japanese and the other Korean, I can't believe Tokai calls the yellow one 'natural'. In guitarspeak, I feel it should be called 'amber' or 'trans gold' :)

Personally I actually prefer the 'yellow', but I can imagine your surprise when opening the box.

Thanks very much to ArthurS for posting the pictures for me.

His suggestion that "trans gold" would be a more logical choice appeals to me and I'm going to start using it...sounds expensive and impressive !

The pics certainly totally clarify what I mean by the differences in colour.

Please understand that I am not disappointed with the guitar in general.
I'm just beginning to discover the variety of tones it can deliver and the neck profile is very "comfortable" in comparison to others I've tried.

The colour is actually gradually becoming easier for me to "live with"

I'd like to replace the knobs with ones that are easier to read the numbers. Are the Tokais "metric spline knobs" ??

Thanks

Dave

Thanks Novosel

I think that the metric splines are mainly found on mini pots. (based on the reading I've done)

I just didn't want to order the knobs and find out that they wouldn't fit.

This whole guitar finish/colour thing might be making me paranoid :-?

To top it off, my having to order a new guitar came about as a result of a B&E at our home...all that was taken were my two MIJ 335 copies (with cases ...of course) :cry:

Hey Davido,

Bummer about the thefts for sure! I like the looks of your new guitar a lot but I agree the original description seems a bit misleading. How are you liking it?

Jim

Hi Jim:

Thanks for the reply.

I'm really enjoying the guitar. The flame maple was a slight upcharge but worth it IMO

At first, I thought that I would need to upgrade the electronics ( as advised by friends in advance of my actually receiving the guitar) but I'm not going to now. It is really well made and the neck is great. I'm still turning knobs on the guitar and amp to try and get the "tone palette" I enjoy.

What gear do you have ?

Hey Davido,

I just got my first Tokai last week - a TV Yellow Double Cut Jr. It's a great guitar but the pickup has to go. It's microphonic at high volumes and just isn't a very "even" sounding pickup - too bright on the high strings and too muddy on the lows. The neck is killer and it's beautifully resonant acoustically so it'll be fabulous with a new pickup.

My main guitar is a '79 LP Deluxe and I have a circa '85 MIJ Fender '62 Tele.

I really want an old Tokai or Burny goldtop LP now. :)

Jim

Hi Davido,

I'm pleased everything worked out particularly after you initial shock. Your es-60 looks very classy the finish certainly works and gives your 335 an individual look.

Heres a pic of my es-60 (with its replacement control knobs)

Cheers
Phil.

es60-1.jpg

Hi Phil:

Thanks for posting the pic. Looks GREAT !! Red would have been my colour choice also if I hadn't opted for the natural finish.

I just put the exact same speed knobs on my guitar. I was having difficulty reading the numbers on the gold/amber knobs so I decided to get the black /white combination.

My luck (or lack thereof) struck again....the shaft on the bridge vol. pot pulled out when I was removing a knob. :eek: :oops: :evil: ( I used the cloth around the knob technique as suggested in various repair books)

What a pain. I phoned the local guitar tech. and he said that it happens to him on occasion and that it is a "right of passage" to guitar mod. enthusiasts. Apparently, the main reason for it happening is that the quality control of the knobs is very poor and they can have too small of a hole diameter to GENTLY press fit onto the pot. shaft. Metal knobs are more prone to this. He drills the holes in the knobs out to increase the diamenter by 1/64 inch increment(s).
Hopefully others will read this and be aware of how easy this is to have happen and what to do if it occurs.

If I knew how to quote the above information from the tech (Mike) I would and start a new post to warn others. Go ahead if you know how to do it.

Thanks again for the pic.

Ignore the qoute thing above.

I was trying to qoute the info. for anther new post and messed up.

Sorry.

Davido said:
Hi Jim:

Thanks for the reply.

I'm really enjoying the guitar. The flame maple was a slight upcharge but worth it IMO

At first, I thought that I would need to upgrade the electronics ( as advised by friends in advance of my actually receiving the guitar) but I'm not going to now. It is really well made and the neck is great. I'm still turning knobs on the guitar and amp to try and get the "tone palette" I enjoy.

What gear do you have ?

I too have recently landed a year old, but never used, ES-60, in cherry red. I too, am leaving the electronics alone. I was very skeptical about this being a Korean guitar, but it has blown me away. I am running it through a deluxe reverb, and have the perfect tone for my ears. I also compared this guitar, side by side, to a new 335, and was not impressed at all with the gibson. The tokai was better sounding, and played the same as the gibson. THey wanted $2,000, for the 335, and I got the Tokai for $400. I couldn't see why anyone would buy one of them for that kind of money. I played it at a gig a couple of weeks ago, and it performed perfect. I wouldn't care what color it was. Here are some songs with it. The most recent ones are with the tokai. Walter

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/waltertoresspontobeat.htm

Back