Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home made effects
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> FX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Jones
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paladin,

Cool - I've heard good things about those amps! My point in regards to amps was that the old Ge treble boosters don't match up very well with certain types. For example, Blackface Fenders (while classic amps) don't seem to work very well at all with these types of pedals. British amps seem to sound the best, especially the ones that are similar in topology to the old tweed Fender Bassman. So old Marshalls, Laney's, early Sound City's and Voxes are great matchups.

Jim
mike_levitt
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Home made effects Reply with quote

Paladin2019 wrote:
Just a quick pimping for www.buildyourownclone.com formerly big tone music brewery.

They're building up a healthy catalogue of fx kits and they're well worth looking into if you can tell which end to hold a soldering iron. NOS components, colour coding, pre-drilled encosures, not too pricey, excellent support and service.

I've just finished building the 'Ranger' treble boost kit (as an advanced beginner it was barely a weekend's work) and I'm very impressed with the kit, the (online only) instructions, Keith's helpfulness and the effect itself. I'll post pics and maybe even clips eventually.

Anyone else attempted their own build?

I've built 4 of Keith's kits, and they've all been great. There are a few holes in the instructions, and especially in the hookup phase you'll occasionally have to desolder a wire and add another, but basically they're simple and easy to build and sound great.

I think they layout on some of the kits could be better, and the instructions don't really stress that you need to make all of the components (transistors and mylar caps) lay down on the board or the case won't fit - so you need to take some care with lead length, etc.

I've built the rangemaster, 808, fuzz face and tonebender. They all sound great and work well, but the real standout to me is the 808 clone, which is better than any tubescreamer I've ever had. I've got a TS9 reissue and a 4 knob turbo, and these have gone in the closet since I finished the clone. It is just really excellent.

Keith is working on some new kits for a phaser, compressor and some other stuff, and I'm planning on building all of them. They are all true bypass, unlike most of the originals.

You can probably do this a lot cheaper, but getting the kit takes care of a lot of the PITA stuff. The box is drilled, the boards are made, and everything fits. Plus he has managed to find the correct transistors and chips, and that can be tough. I like them a lot, and if you can read and solder, you can probably get it right on the first try.

Mike
Chris Downing
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Nice CE 2 Reply with quote

I've got one of those and they're pretty rare now - they've apparently become collectable at about $130.
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THREAD RESURRECTION!

I came back to this topic when a google image search for "hammerite hammered" brought up one of my pictures on page 1. Heehee!

About the CE-2; it's one of the old japanese black-label types which are suppsedly the most collectable even though the same circuit is used in all three versions. I got it a couple of years ago from a guy who was scaling down his pedal board. He wanted ?30 for it but since it had a few paint chips I talked him down to ?25.

I've been looking into the BYOC kits again lately and I've just bought an 808 for my bithday - I may buy a fuzzface if I have enough cash left at the end of the month. Mike, if you're still around, did you install the 808 mod pack when you built yours? I'm thinking of putting in all three mods, plus a blue LED and spraying the box hammerite hammered mid green (with the sandpaper effect I used on the ranger).

The kits have been updated and debugged lately. The treble boost is now on a PCB and incorporates three different boost types. It looks a lot less beginner friendly but I have a feeling the PCB will actually be easier to work on. They're all negative earth now, which ends the power headaches they used to have in their period-correct original incarnations.
brad347
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once build a TS-808 clone and added an extra diode in series with one of the other diodes to produce asymmetrical clipping. It's now my main distortion device.
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad347 wrote:
I once build a TS-808 clone and added an extra diode in series with one of the other diodes to produce asymmetrical clipping. It's now my main distortion device.

That's one of the mods I plan to do on the BYOC kit.
brad347
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a good mod, increases the output a bit, sounds good. Experiment with different types of diodes (including LEDs) to find the one that sounds the best to you. For a slightly more subtle effect, just use two different types of diodes (and no third one). I have three identical diodes in mine and it's pretty pronounced, in fact you can almost detect a faint octave effect when playing up high on the neck.
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I built the 808 and I've since built a fuzzface as well.

The 808 is the real standout in terms of sound, useability and ease of construction. Fantastic pedal. I think my FF looks best though.

Here's a pic of my clone army (fuzzface, 808, rangemaster):

chrisheyes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin2019 they look cool

I've just been given the BYOC Tuber Screamer clone as a Christmas present and I'm a bit daunted

There are so many tiny pieces !!!!!!

I may need to ask for some advise from you, if you don't mind
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisheyes wrote:

I may need to ask for some advise from you, if you don't mind

No worries. I was pretty intimidated at first, but you have to realise that if you can solder one component you can solder them all - they're all really easy on the PCB, there's just a lot of them! The 808 has an additional advantage in that it has a really big enclosure so there's lots of room to work with and less chance of something interfering with something else.

The best advice I can give is PLAN AHEAD. Avoid tangles and shorts. Keep your wires short but give them some slack, take your time and follow the insructions. Try not to "burn your bridges" - you may have to go back to something later so keep things as accessible as possible until the last possible moment. Oh, and give big components long enough leads to fold them over later.

With the 808, check which direction the pots are facing. My enclosure and the instructions showed them in opposite directions and my knobs worked backwards for a bit because I didn't spot it!

Oh, and if you're feeling flash, I recommend you make the clipping diode and input cap switcheable.
LoveRocksRule
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are some sweet looking home-made pedals Paladin!!

i wish i had the patience to be able to solder tiny components onto circuit boards...

i would really like to buy some of those kits, but i know i would never be able to stick everything together and make it work!!!!!!!!!
chrisheyes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin2019 I've just finished making the 808 Clone

It worked first time too - really pleased with it. I took your advise and took care to plan ahead.

I've made it totally satandard, without the mods.

What does the clipping diode and input cap mods do to the sound ?

Thanks

Chris
brad347
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adding an extra diode for asymmetrical clipping increases the output a little bit and also gives the distortion a more tube-like character.

i don't know what you mean by 'input cap' but I modded the .047 cap attached to the tone control to a .1 to increase bass response a little/make the pedal less midrangey and muddy.
chrisheyes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Brad347, I'll have a go at carrying out the mod tonight
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word of warning - the extra diode included in the kit doesn't fit in its holes. It took me half an hour of filing to get the leads down to their bare copper before the damn thing would fit and that was without any solder gumming up the hole.

It's probably the best mod you can do, so my recommendation would be to have some wire coming out of the holes and solder the diode to that. Either that or, as I said above, make the whole thing switcheable (you don't even need to do any drilling, just leave the switch inside the enclosure and open it up to flip it if you feel like it)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> FX All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: