Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1982 Tokai Flying V Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captain-video
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: 1982 Tokai Flying V Question Reply with quote

Greetings all, I have an '82 V that I am planning to list on eBay, but have never seen one of this vintage being offered. I see quite a few of the new korina Vs with Tokai printed on the headstock...this one is a spitting image of the 58/59 Gibsons to include the plastic nameplate on the headstock. It is a wicked axe, plays like a dream and screams like you read about. I tend not to play it because of the body shape and the way it hangs on me....I prefer the contoured body of a Strat....anyway, if anyone could give me a rough idea of its scarcity and/or value, I would be appreciative. These forums were great when I was pricing Love Rocks a couple of years ago, thanks to all for past, present and future help.....feel free to email me privately at djscomics@yahoo.com if you wish, Kev
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cap'n

Please check in your serial# as don't believe there was a V made in 1982. Your dates are probably mixed up.

regards
Peter mac
captain-video
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Dating The V Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, the serial number is 2011363, which by the Gibson copy dating system here puts it at 1982. I have seen the newer Vs for sale on eBay and this is definitely not that, this is a spitting image of a '58/'59 Flying V.....Kev
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cap'n

You are correct in your assumption - that serial number would indeed indicate a 1982 build. This would have been made late in the year as the model was first featured in the 1983 catalog, so production would have started late '82.
Please note that the V's and Explorers were made of solid mahogany, then bleached and stained to resemble the Korina finish of the originals. As far as I am aware, Tokai never used White Limba wood for any of their guitars... to that end ( with the exception of the '58-59 models and the Historic/Custom Shop) neither did Gibbsoon for the FV and Explorer guitars.
If Tokai had, it would not have been the FV70, it more likely would be the FV200.

regards
Peter Mac
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: