whats the differences

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_j22

Reaction score
apart from the flame top, are there any tecnical differences between the ls60 and ls80?

Information can be found here:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-gibson-models.html

Ned

There shouldn't be. I do remember that the Guitar Universe website used to say the LS60 (now LS70) comes with either a two- or three-piece back, whereas the LS80F and 85Q always come with a two-piece back.

Don't know if there's any truth to it, and I don't know if it's still that way now.

By the way, the flame top on the LS80 is actually a paper-thin veneer on top of the regular maple cap. The LS70 doesn't have a veneer, just the two piece maple cap.

I tested about 20-30 Tokai guitars and really sounds of LS80f (sycamore) and LS85Q (quilted maple) are different.
First one has more trebles and better with dist.
Second one has deepest mild sound and better for clean and fat overdrive.
I think this is because the tops made from different kind of maple (sycamore is one of the kind).

Lacroix said:
tested about 20-30 Tokai guitars and really sounds of LS80f (sycamore) and LS85Q (quilted maple) are different.
First one has more trebles and better with dist.
Second one has deepest mild sound and better for clean and fat overdrive.

I think this is because the tops made from different kind of maple (sycamore is one of the kind).

That's a very strange observation since the only differences between those two are in the paper-thin veneer top. The maple underneath is the same.

If you did hear a difference, it was probably due to natural variation in the wood and nothing to do with the quilt/flame tops.

Paladin2019

I don't know exactly why but fact is fact - all guitars with maple top (LS70,LS75, LS85Q) have deeper sound than all LS80F, And last one has better sound with dist. (I mean guitars which I had in my hand)
Sycamore- is kind of "highland" maple ( "yavor" in Russian ) and more hard than original maple.
The difference in sound maybe like between ash and swamp ash....

Guess Benny is talking new Tokais, but ? early LS60 vs. LS80,?BIG difference :-? .

Ian.

Lacroix said:
Paladin2019

I don't know exactly why but fact is fact - all guitars with maple top (LS70,LS75, LS85Q) have deeper sound than all LS80F, And last one has better sound with dist. (I mean guitars which I had in my hand)
Sycamore- is kind of "highland" maple ( "yavor" in Russian ) and more hard than original maple.
The difference in sound maybe like between ash and swamp ash....

Yeah but the 'sycamore' bit on the LS80 is less than 1mm thick. Same goes for the LS85. All of these guitars HAVE a maple top, the only difference is that the LS80F has a paper-thin sycamore veneer on top of that maple cap, and the 85Q has a paper-thin quilted veneer. I just can't believe that about .5mm of 'wood' would make such a difference on sound, so I think I'll have to agree with Paladin on this- any sound differences you may heard must've been due to regular variations in the wood, not in the veneer.

Back