Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jap Tokais...80's versus new models help please!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riffpowers
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Jap Tokais...80's versus new models help please!! Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I already own a korean love rock gold top.Nice guitar,especially for the money,but now I'd like to get a more pro model gold top(I've got a gibbo,but I'm not lining their pockets by buying another!!)
Heres my dilema-do I buy an 80's jap model or a new jap model??I want something that is built and looks as good as my gibbo but plays and sounds as good too,with decent pots and hardware(unlike the korean)
So guys,what do you think?Which would be best for me??Do I keep my eye out for an 80's love rock or jsust get a new one??!!
Novosel
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you that absolutely the best sounding guitar - bar none (and I've owned a few Gibsons) - I have ever played was an '84 Tokai Goldtop. It probably had the Tokai 57 PAF's in it. If I hadn't had been such a flametop snob, I would have got it without hesitation. I hope owners of new MIJ Tokai's will add their experiences.
javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novosel wrote:
I can tell you that absolutely the best sounding guitar - bar none (and I've owned a few Gibsons) - I have ever played was an '84 Tokai Goldtop. It probably had the Tokai 57 PAF's in it. If I hadn't had been such a flametop snob, I would have got it without hesitation. I hope owners of new MIJ Tokai's will add their experiences.

Well, I have an '84 TLS-50 goldtop (bought it new in the summer of '84), it came fom the factory with the Tokai PAF's normally used on the (T)LS-80. I thought it sounded really good with the original pickups so I never even thought of replacing them. It wasn't until 2001 I removed the pickups and found out that it didn't have the pickups normally used on the TLS-50. I love this guitar, I was able to choose from a number of new guitars that came directly from the Tokai factory. I think the new japanese Tokai's are really good too but I prefer the 80's models, they are excellent.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: