How old is my springy?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dug

Reaction score
Can anyone have a stab at the age of my Black Strat Springy Sound? I blew my student grant on it in 86 and have been in love with it ever since. Headstock is standard Fender Strat with 7okia logo, "Springy Sound" and "oldies but goldies" on it. The only serial number is on the neck plate at the back and is seven digits 1020724. I've checked the registry and it would seem to suggest that it is a copy of a 75 strat so presumably no older than that but certainly older than 82 as that's when they changed the 7okia logo? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Dug

Hi Dug ? I think it?s 1981. Well that?s the short answer.

Long answer ? Peter Mac & others can correct me if I?m wrong (quite possible), but I believe Tokai only began making electrics under the Tokai name in 1978 (possibly 77).

However, I doubt if your Springy is styled after a 1975 Fender (unless it has large headstock & bullet truss rod ? sounds like Silverstar). More likely it?s a copy of a 1954 or 57 Strat, or else maybe a 62 (if it has rosewood fretboard).

Registry refers to 7-digits numbers on the headstock, not on the neckplate. It?s not official, but I see lots of early Springys with numbers which appear to follow the same pattern as Les Pauls, ie first two digits indicating date ? so in case of your guitar, I think 1020724 probably indicates 1981 :-? .

Ian.

Thanks a lot Ian, very interesting. It doesn't have a rosewood fretboard or bullet truss rod so I'll plump for a '54 or '57 copy, and 81 would seem fair too as it was pristine when i bought it in '86 (still is of course!)

Many thanks again :D

Dug

Dug - that ?7okai? logo was only used on the early Tokai?s from 78 until 82. So your guitar really has to be between those dates.

Until about 1980 the model number was impressed into the end of the Fretboard, do you see an impressed number at all?

Very nice guitar by the way - all the 7okai guitars are becoming quite collectable now, but I?m sure you know that :-? .

Ian.

Hey guys,

Actually I agree with Ian, I would date it late 1981. The string tree will give you an idea of the year - round button is '54; "T" style is '57.
The Springy numbers do follow the Les Paul numbers until 1982 when they went to a Fender style numbering.
Springy's have their serial numbers on the neckplate whilst SilverStars have them on the headstock.
Black huh.....Eric's "Blackie" just sold for US$959,000 at auction.... may need to hold onto it for a little while longer :D :wink:

regards
Peter Mac

Hi Peter ? good to know you see the same pattern in the early Springy numbers :-? .

Any thoughts about those impressed model numbers? I think I see those on all pre-1980 Reborns & Springys (& maybe the Breezys too?). But seems the practice ended around 1980 (or maybe 81?). Maybe ended when the Love Rock was introduced? Same with the 7okais, if I recall correctly ? ie impressed numbers absent on later examples 1981-82 :-? .

All the best,

Ian.

ian said:
Hi Peter ? good to know you see the same pattern in the early Springy numbers :-? .

Any thoughts about those impressed model numbers? I think I see those on all pre-1980 Reborns & Springys (& maybe the Breezys too?). But seems the practice ended around 1980 (or maybe 81?). Maybe ended when the Love Rock was introduced? Same with the 7okais, if I recall correctly ? ie impressed numbers absent on later examples 1981-82 :-? .

All the best,

Ian.

My TE-50 Breezy (spaghetti logo - 7okai) has a decal on the back of the neck near the body like the later Goldstar's and Breezy's. I don't know the age of the guitar but I guess it has to be 81 or 82 then?

Mike

Hi Mike ? thanks for the info. Yes, I think your right, ie probably 1981-82, but I?m by no means certain of it. Those early Breezys are pretty rare now, so very few examples around to check the numbers ? nice guitar :-? .

Ian.

Here's a picture:

breezy.jpg

- The color is transparent, I guess it's butterscotch? Btw, everytime I open the case there is a smell of laquer or something, on my other guitars I never notice that (I think all of them have poly finishes). Is it possible that this guitar might have a nitro finish?

Mike

Great pic, very cool guitar (but I love Teles anyway) 8) .

1982 catalogue shows a ?TE80 Old replica King? with identical looking body colour (also lovely looking bound burst custom on the cane sofa). Looks like Tokai made it that way, with that faded deepened colour. I have a 78 US Tele that started life pale cream (almost white), but now it?s deep custard yellow (that?s a thick polyester finish).

If it still smells that way when you take it from the case then I doubt if its polyester (70?s finish), or polyurethane (80?s), well just my guess :-? .

I?m always surprised that Tokai used those modern style bridges on early Breezys, ie the flat 6-saddle bridge (not the ashtray type with 3 brass or steel saddles) ? maybe they thought Teles were retro enough anyway lol (maybe that TE80 Old Replica has an ashtray type, looks like it in the cat.) :-? .

Ian.

Well contrary to my suggestion above, this one has ?80? impressed, and the guy says it?s 1982, so maybe ?back to the drawing board? on this subject :roll: .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47069&item=3762606028&rd=1

Ian.

Back