Is this a Tokai? What and how old is it, what's it called?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemrmax

Reaction score
standard.jpg
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I've done some research on this guitar. Couldn't really find the actual guitar. I think it's a Tokai because of the whammy bar tailpiece. The chrome PU's and pickguard are very unique. It sounds really cool and plays surprisingly well. The hard case is quire unique also.

I'd like to find the right knobs for it, the namebadge it's missing also. If anyone has these parts please contact me.

What is it and what is it worth? I think it may be one of the oldest Tokais out there, from the 60's?

AFAIK, Tokai began making electrics in 1977 (with possible exception of earlier models branded Goban or Gaban).

Switches & styling are typical of many guitars from the 1960?s, eg see this Guyatone http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=3755950970&rd=1 . Have a look around on eBay, you?ll probably find the exact same thing.

Ian.

price guide has the same funky whammy bar tailpiece. Page 185 of the 2004 edition. The guitar is a 1967 Tokai Tele Star 5003. I believe this guitar is an early Tokai of the same vintage.

Uh hu,? so it?s on eBay now.

Page 185 of ?Official Vintage Guitar Price Guide 1994? shows this guitar as a ?1967 Tele Star, made by Kawai?, not a Tokai! The guide only lists one Tokai ? shows photo of a new Goldstar with pointy h-stock & says ?1982 AST-56? lol :lol: .

Ian.

Latest posts

Back