LS320 eBay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
Opportunity here for someone in the US. These very rarely turn up for sale. It?s the price of a Gibbo, but that may mean somebody gets it at or near the opening price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3744761112&indexURL=0#ebayphotohosting.

Ian.

Hi Ian,

strange, it looks like the one from tubedogsmith, posted just a few days ago.

Have a look: http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3107&highlight=320

Have mercy

Joe

Joe, it's the same one. I've got another historic coming and a custom built Korina V so I need cash. What else is new. :(

Hi Joe, well you?re identification was correct :wink: . Tubedog ? will the Historic really be better, I suppose you'll lose money on it this way, seems a shame?

Ian.

That's a beautiful guitar.

Since I recently expressed my feelings about funny inlays and other minor cosmetic missteps on recent Gibson guitars, I wonder if anyone else looked at these photos and thought if the inlays might look a bit too yellow? (I do recognize that it's tough to know if color issues have more to do with the lighting of the photo than the actual instrument.)

In any event it's certainly a minor point. Lightweight, beautiful burst and flame, nice pickups and caps - this is a sweetheart. Too bad I've yet to convince my wife of the necessity of my LS-100; just this morning she suggested that if I sold it we could buy a piano!

I think that means a second Tokai is not a wise strategic maneuver at this juncture. <g>

Ian, I love buying and selling and playing guitars. I've been through close to 50 lester type fiddles in the last year and only three were stinkers. This one is definitely in the top 6 or so as far as playability and sound. I'm always looking for the one that will make me stop looking. The LS320's are the pinnacle of Tokai achievement in LP copies IMO. I've had a couple '80's LS 150's and 100's and really think the 320's have more "vibe" if you will from a playing standpoint. The old ones had cooler tops for the most part. None of them are accurate if you want to talk about routes and carves, bridge/tailpiece spacing and the like. But they are killer guitars in their own right. I'm still looking for an '80's LS 200.
Scott, I don't know what they were thinking with these inlays. They look kinda cool but odd at the same time. Anyway, this is a sweet guitar and you'll find a whole lot more that can't hold with it than ones that can.

Hi Tubedog ? well certainly sounds like you?ve been checking out loads of stuff :lol: . Have you tried a Gibson Historic R9? That seems to end the search for many LP players.

Scott ? sorry I really failed to reply to your offer about inked numbers etc., sort of slipped past me :oops: . I did a bit more checking and found that Gibson did re-instate inked numbers in 1980 (maybe as early as 75). Specifically - a Jimmy Wallace model was released in 1980 with an inked S/N. Even earlier, a Memphis dealer named Strings & Things commissioned 28 LP re-issues between 1975 & 78 - these guitars are now extremely rare & I think ?expert? opinion is that most if not all sightings are mistaken, however, some of them do appear to have inked numbers. All info. from Mike Slubowski at LP Forum.

Of course, from 82 onwards Gibson re-issued lots of inked numbers, but I was specifically intersted in 1980 or 81 ... I just wanted to see if Tokai might have spotted Gibson re-issuing inked numbers in 1980 (ie the date which "appears" relevant to the beginning of Tokai using inked numbers) :-? .

Ian.

Ian, most of the guitars I've been through are R9's or R8's. A few US built Replicas and the Tokai's and other usual suspects. There's a healthy market for these things and if you buy smart you get to play them for free and sell them again. It's fun. :D

Latest posts

Back