Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's Gibson doing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: What's Gibson doing? Reply with quote

I was in a Mom and Pop store yesterday looking for Tokais and the like and came across a new 1960 Classic, I have one from the first year {a 92'} but this thing was nothing like the quality of mine! The binding was thick like 70's LPand the overall feel not was what I have become acustomed to with the LP's and LR's! When that model came out inthe 90's it was like a rebirth of the great guitars of the past...what happened? The Classic in the begining had a much better fit and finish than the Standard of that time! When did they switch? Someone here spoke of the Classic and the Studio as being in the same league and I though they were nuts! But something happened at Gibson that ruined the Classic. Try an early model the one's that say "Les Paul Model "on the silk screen and you will see what I mean! What a disapointment , that was a great guitar...Glad I have what I have! TG
Boogle
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the LP standard changed and are now offered with a choice of 50's fat or 60's slim neck, the Classic has been moved downwards in the ladder. The studios and classics both come with multipiece mahogany backs now and are probably still getting more cost cutting build changes done to them. And eww, don't forget the algae green inlays. IMHO they should have changed the Classic in the ways that they modified the Standard. It is 'classic' afterall and deserves those vintage style tuners, and vintage style burstbuckers. They should have made the standard come with coil tap and stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: