'85 Tokai LS-80 on ebay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to say that that was a pretty good deal - definitely on the low side for an 80's Love Rock. The double-ring tuners and bell truss rod cover tell me it's earlier than an 85, but I'm not a real expert, or they could have been changed. I believe a "50" model would have a solid maple top - no veneer, and therefore no flame (plaintop); the "60" and "80" models have the flametop, but it is a veneer over a solid maple top (no shame in that - like all Tokai's the workmanship is faultless). The descriptions of the 60 vs. 80 models in the 1985 catalogue are identical, so I'm at a loss to pinpoint the exact difference between those two.

Hi Johan - I wouldn?t cry too much over losing that one. My 2-cents (all subjective) - the lemon colour is a matter of taste, and $650 is a fair price, but not a great bargain. Seller mentions some obvious damage, but seems veneer is also lifting & opening along the seam. Fret & neck is only OK at 8/10 - you wouldn?t really want less. $130 shipping to Europe is typical, but I just got an old US Tele posted from California to London for true cost of $65 (thanks Mark Jenny). OK, I?m being a bit ?picky?, trying to reassure you lol :) , but I think you can find plenty like that, or better :-? .

Only easy way to tell model number is if guitar still has it's numbered sticker (or early pre-1980 models have number impressed in fretboard). Otherwise, model No. is sometimes written into pup cavity. Apart from that it's a question of identifying construction & original fittings, eg see page 6 of 1985-86 catalogue (in Registry) where LS200 is specified with solid flamed top, 1-Piece back & Seymour Duncan pups, compare that to lower models on page 6.

Novosel ? as you say 1984/85 Catalogues show TLS60 with flamed veneer top (like TLS80), however, earlier LS60 has plain-grained top (probably solid?) :-? .

Ian.

Thanks Ian and Novosel:

Now I don't feel so bad anymore. I love that lemon drop color. My fav!

I'm looking for a 80's Tokai LP and that's about as much as I wanna spend. I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks for your help guys.

Hi Johan ? well $650 will easily buy a good 100% original early Tokai Les Paul on eBay, maybe far less on a good day :-? . Easy to find a good one, especially if you include other burst colours. Good luck & let us know what happens (maybe discuss here if you see one that looks promising) :-? .

Ian.

on holiday are ya? Well then I guess you wan`t get to see the Fender Japan rosewood tele pics I sent you. I put it up for sale at another site.
Have a nice holiday... and eat your heart out....heeheehee.

Latest posts

Back