Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'85 Tokai LS-80 on ebay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: '85 Tokai LS-80 on ebay Reply with quote

had this one in my list to watch out for but somebody used BIN. i have to be faster next time. Was this a good deal? how's it possible to check if it's a LS80, 60, 50 etc??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=3734386550&rd=1
Novosel
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say that that was a pretty good deal - definitely on the low side for an 80's Love Rock. The double-ring tuners and bell truss rod cover tell me it's earlier than an 85, but I'm not a real expert, or they could have been changed. I believe a "50" model would have a solid maple top - no veneer, and therefore no flame (plaintop); the "60" and "80" models have the flametop, but it is a veneer over a solid maple top (no shame in that - like all Tokai's the workmanship is faultless). The descriptions of the 60 vs. 80 models in the 1985 catalogue are identical, so I'm at a loss to pinpoint the exact difference between those two.
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Johan - I wouldn?t cry too much over losing that one. My 2-cents (all subjective) - the lemon colour is a matter of taste, and $650 is a fair price, but not a great bargain. Seller mentions some obvious damage, but seems veneer is also lifting & opening along the seam. Fret & neck is only OK at 8/10 - you wouldn?t really want less. $130 shipping to Europe is typical, but I just got an old US Tele posted from California to London for true cost of $65 (thanks Mark Jenny). OK, I?m being a bit ?picky?, trying to reassure you lol , but I think you can find plenty like that, or better .

Only easy way to tell model number is if guitar still has it's numbered sticker (or early pre-1980 models have number impressed in fretboard). Otherwise, model No. is sometimes written into pup cavity. Apart from that it's a question of identifying construction & original fittings, eg see page 6 of 1985-86 catalogue (in Registry) where LS200 is specified with solid flamed top, 1-Piece back & Seymour Duncan pups, compare that to lower models on page 6.

Novosel ? as you say 1984/85 Catalogues show TLS60 with flamed veneer top (like TLS80), however, earlier LS60 has plain-grained top (probably solid?) .

Ian.
johan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian and Novosel:

Now I don't feel so bad anymore. I love that lemon drop color. My fav!

I'm looking for a 80's Tokai LP and that's about as much as I wanna spend. I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks for your help guys.
lasher
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1980 ls80 had solid, 2 piece tops, no flame.
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Johan ? well $650 will easily buy a good 100% original early Tokai Les Paul on eBay, maybe far less on a good day . Easy to find a good one, especially if you include other burst colours. Good luck & let us know what happens (maybe discuss here if you see one that looks promising) .

Ian.
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on holiday are ya? Well then I guess you wan`t get to see the Fender Japan rosewood tele pics I sent you. I put it up for sale at another site.
Have a nice holiday... and eat your heart out....heeheehee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: