Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tokai tele 1982?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juliang
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Tokai tele 1982????? Reply with quote

Hi I have an Ash bodied maple neck Tokai tele with a serial number of 014080. It has a Tokai logo on the Fender shaped headstock which isn't exactly a copy of the Fender spaghetti style but close, it also says breezysound. Anyone have any idea when it would have been made? I got it 6 years ago, used. It had a Gibson PAF neck pick up and original bridge. I've replaced the PAF with a Seymour Duncan JB which I can coil tap from the original tone pot and a Seymour Duncan quarter pounder at the bridge. It plays and sounds better than my 50th anniversary Fender Strat and is all senses an awesome guitar. I was 19 in 1980 and now wish I'd bought a load of Tokai's around the early 80's they are really, truly quality guitars. Mine is certainly never going up for sale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
juliang
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, I thought that I'd say hi to me as no-one else would, feeling lonely and rejected in this big unfriendly world
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Russ Parker
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dude, post up some pics of the guitar.
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Juliang ? Sorry, I completely missed your post, so.....Hi, nice to hear from you . Sounds like you have a nice Tele there.....as Russ said, a pic would be nice. I guess I?m still looking for a Breezy, probably a double-bound, although I already have a MIM and an older US Tele .

OK about the date??the serial number (014080) only indicates which Fender model is being copied, it doesn?t give the date unfortunately. Best guide is the style of Tokai decal - take a look in the Registry (under ?Tokai Info?). Early Breezy?s had the thin spaghetti script-style, with the ?T? formed like a backwards ?F?, ie what guys here call ?7okai?. In 83 this changed briefly to a small black block logo. And then from 84 it was a thicker stubby looking script with a normal style ?T?. From 85 most Breezy?s had a pointed end to the headstock (see illustration in Registry), but some Breezy models continued with the classic Tele shape well into the 1990?s (eg Double Bound Customs) .

Ian.
juliang
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,
Thanks for the reply, the decal looks like a silver couloured 7okai, I would post a photo if I knew how to do it!!!! I remember the early 80's when it seemed that the UK was awash with these things, wish I'd bought some more, did have a Strat which fooloshly I sold, along with 2 Fenders and a great SG, not to mention AC30's old Marshalls etc. They seemed to be 2 a penny then, I look at prices now and it's dohhhhh, so I now try not to sell anything. I guess that we have more disposable income at 40 than 20. If you can tell me how to post a photo, I'll do it. I tried copying and pasting into this but alas, no luck and no http address.

Julian[/img]
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Juliang ? ha, ... if you look through my posts you?ll find a glaring absence of any photos, must find out about that one day lol . You?d also find a reply to TG where I describe buying my very first guitar (aged 13) .... it was a choice between two hanging next to each other in the shop ... the one I choose was a shiny new Watkins Rapier-33 (terrible guitar),... the one I rejected was a rather scratched 2nd-hand US Strat (late 50?s or early 60?s) . Oh well, .... at least I still have an early 18watt Marshall 2x12 .

Ian.
juliang
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocities.com/juliangsd/My_page.html
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Juliang ? nice family shot of you & Marie with Christmas tree . Nice guitars too. OK, the tele logo is a little later than 82, but maybe 1984-85; eg see the TE55N in the 1985 catalogue, ie a sort of natural ash 52-reissue type with 5-hole single ply black guard & dome knobs, but with 6 saddle bridge ? I assume the humbucker is an alteration. Neat sound clips too?.hey, where did you get the ?original 18W Marshall? ?

All the best,

Ian.
juliang
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,
Thanks for the reply. The Tokai's that I understood were from 1984/5 had the sort of squared off headstock no? The pickups are a Semour Duncan JB at the neck, tappable via the tone pot, just roll the other coil in and out gradually and a SD 1/4 lb at the bridge to even out the volume of them both. It had a Gibson PAF when I got it which was a bit muddy for me, probably a bridge P/U stuck in a neck pos.
The Amp is a plain old valvestate 100w I'm afraid. Now supplemented by the new Vox valvetronix combo which is absolutely awesome, the Marshall sounds great with the SG, fine if you;re a died in the wool AC/DC fan. I used to own a little 20watt Marshall valve head and 1*12 angled cab. It had 2 channels, guitar and bass each with volume and tone. That sounded great, the best but 20w wasn't loud enough. I outputted it into an HH 100W head ( remember those? ) When the output transformer caught fire I realised you can't do that with a valve amp, oh to be 17 again!!!
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Julian ? yep, I think I have a vague memory of HH .... if I recall correctly they made high power transistor heads and also a very stylish Hi Fi amp, although I think they were all too expensive for me at the time lol. Funny you should mention fire ? first band I was in after school (ages ago), the lead singer managed to incinerate my brand new AC30 (during our break he switched the voltage to 110V for some unfathomable reason ).

OK, about your Tele - the key is the decal, which is post 84 (see Registry, re. Fender decals) . I think the pointy headstocks can be a bit misleading - catalogues first show those from around 85, but I think many models continued with the classic rounded shape until much later (eg see Catalogues) .

All the best,

Ian.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: