84 LOVEROCK MODEL???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I HAVE A TOKAI LOVEROCK . I KNOW IT IS A 1984 2ND RUN EDITION IN CHERRY SUNBURST TIGERSTRIPE [MINT CONDITION] . I'M GUESSING IT'S A TLS MODEL BUT DO NOT KNOW IF IT IS A 50 60 70 ETC .ANYONE HELP?. ALSO CAN ANYONE ON SITE OFFER ME A VALUATION OR A WEB SITE FOR VALUATIONS??.

My 1984 Love Rock TLS-50 (serial 401xxxx, bought new by me in June 1984) does not have anything written in the pickup cavity. The model number is normally found on a small oval decal on the back of the headstock. Since the guitar has a flame top it's probably a TLS-80 or better. The 1984 TLS-70 was a '56 gold top replica with P-90's.

Check the catalog for the specs:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai86_6.jpg
http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai86_7a.jpg

Mike

I CHECKED THE PICKUP HOLES --NOTHING. CHECKED THE HEADSTOCK -- NOTHING. PICKUPS ARE TOKAI 57 PAFS. I THINK IT'S THE SAME AS THE ONE IN THE 1984 GUITAR MAG REVIEW. P.S. THANX FOR YOUR HELP. PPS ANY CLUE OF ITS VALUE? . I PAID ?350 IN 1984 WITH CASE.

Check finished ebay auctions to find out what people are willing to pay, but it will depend on the model. I can't help there.

And dude... kill the caps lock. It's murder on the eyes. :eek:

EDIT: ?350 = 70k yen. So I'm guessing it's a 60 or 70 series (probably 60 considering the case came with it?). Maybe someone more knowledgeable can work it out.

I have an 84 Love Rock serial # 4022***, that I bought new in 1988! Guess it sat in the shop that long. The model number "60" is on the black oval sticker back of the headstock, nothing in the pickup cavities (although maybe I should have a closer look in case it was sprayed over). It's also a flametop, but the Tokai card with it says its an ALS60, not TLS. In addition, it has the dimpled headstock, which I'll bet P80's doesn't have. I could be way off, but I suspect the ALS models were for North American distribution, thus the compliant headstock, and the TLS were Japanese and/or European, with the Gibson open-book headstock. The only reason I'm saying this is because I've seen '84 models with the correct headstock as opposed to mine, and the catalogue on our Registry shows dimpled ALS's posed against a decidedly "Californian" backdrop.

Any other opinions?

Latest posts

Back