Blue Flower Breeeeezy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Lee,

You buying or selling on this one lol? OK, well you asked for thoughts, so I?ll just ramble on about it for a bit, OK?

Well, Fender introduced Paisley in 68, at which point it had old style neck pocket, however, this one is 70?s style ie with shoulder pocket - plain grooved steel saddles & ?ashtray? style bridge are correct though (it IS string-through, but maybe less experienced guys than you would need a photo of back, just to see it?s not a top-loader).

Personally I?m not keen on Paisley, but that?s just individual taste. If seller is to be believed, then it?s an excellent guitar & barely played, so current price seems a bargain (especially with case). But missing Decal & zero pics of headstock are always cause for caution (maybe neck pocket & pup cavities will confirm Tokai id?) - what tuners does it have (Fender used F-style Schallers with split post)?

Ian.

Greetings Ian,

No not selling. I was thinking chucking a bid in for it.

I just wasn't sure if Tokai produced a Blue Flower Version. I've seen the Fender Japan but not a Tokai.

If it's a Tokai, then what year is it from?

Hi Ian,

just one question, you wrote: "old style neck pocket, however, this one is 70?s style ie with shoulder pocket" what is the difference, or: what means "shoulder pocket"? Are you thinking of the neck being fixed with only 3 screws?

have mercy

Joe

Hi Lee,

yes, Tokai built Blue Flower Teles and Pink Paisley, if I'm right, that was in the middle of the 80's with Blue Flower.

have mercy

Joe

That's right Joe,you can see them on '86 catalogue with altered headstocks,alder 2 pieces body as oppossite as Fender Japan that were basswood body made.

Hi Joe,

Nope, the ?shoulder? has nothing to do with 3-screw neck plates - I think those came in with micro-tilt neck on Thinlines & maybe Deluxe Teles in 1971, but I think the Std. Model Teles always had 4 bolt fixing, I'm not certain on that though :roll: ?.

However,??..the ?shoulder? refers to the way Fender changed the joint between neck & body in 1970. It?s not easy to describe in words, & probably best seen in the illustration on page 54 of Duchossoir?s book, but??before 1970 the upper part of the body joins the neck below the 17th fret marker, which leaves a lower shelf or ?shoulder? supporting the base of the neck. Whereas after 1970, the upper body joins the neck near 16th fret, and that automatically means there is no longer any visible shoulder :-? .

Ian.

A.R. Duchossoir, The Fender Telecaster, Hal Leonard, 1991 (ISBN 0-79350860-6)

Hi Ian,

thanks. I think I got it now and I have to feel a bit sheepish about it. :roll:

Last night I took my remaining 2 Teles and made pics of the neck-body-joint.

First my Paisley:

paisley_neckpocket.jpg

This should be the old version. 8)

And here is my Thinlinetele:

thinline_neckpocket.jpg

This must be the later version if I got you right.

Never really realised that, both sound good. :wink:

Have mercy

Joe

Hi Joe,

Beautiful pictures, & a perfect illustration of what I was trying to say. Yes, the top photo is the pre-1970 style neck joint, with the so-called ?shoulder?. The lower photo is more modern style, which Fender used after 1970 (lovely looking grain on lower photo :-? ).

Ian.

Hi Ian,

thanks a lot. :)

(lovely looking grain on lower photo :-? )

This is my custom made Thinlinetele. Built by a german luthier from old and light swamp ash with a maple cap neck and Bardens.

I found two older pics:

thinline1.jpg

and
thinlinetele.jpg

She's my other workhorse. 8)

Have mercy

Joe
PS: the strange thing is, that I never realised that thing with the shoulder, but have both versions :-?

Latest posts

Back