PRS SE Soapbar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skybone

Reaction score
OK, so I thought I was GAS-ing for a Tele, bought the new Squier Custom II soapbar model, spent 3 hours setting the darn thing up & rectifying build quality defects (bad earth), and then never played it. Simply, I just didn't "get on" with it for some reason. Ho hum, live and learn, but I was still GAS-ing for a Soapbar loaded guitar. I looked at the Vintage "Junior" models, and I was impressed with the quality, but again, didn't really like one enough to buy it. Spoke to one of the local guitar shops about the PRS SE, they didn't have one, but offered to get some in anyway and put one to the side for me to try.

Pulling it from the box, you're faced with the SE & PRS logo'd gig bag. This looks like a far sturdier item than the Gibson gigbag I got when I bought my LP Studio, with a couple of big pockets on the front, carry handles and shoulder straps. Open the gigbag up and I could only say wow. First impressions are that it looks great, included with it are an allen key and a truss rod adjustment tool (which looks like being an 8mm nut "socket" like that used on the Love Rock, handy!) and there was a lead included as well. Sitting down, this thing balances well on the knee, and feels like the Korean factory KNOW how to set a guitar up.

Features:
2 P90 type soapbar pups
1 vol, 1 tone, 3 way switch
Wrap-around bridge (with allen screws for adjustment at height posts, and intonation indent)
Large button, PRS logo'd tuner's
Pearlescent "Moon" dot inlays
Set neck
Single Cut Mahogany body & "wide, fat" neck, Rosewood 'board, PRS style headstock

Looking good so far.

Plugging it in, I was expecting a bit of hum on the single pup selections like there was on the Tele, but nothing. Clean, this guitar is full of sparkle, with the tone up at about 3 it shimmers (hey, I'm new to single coils, gimme a break! ;) ). Get it into the "just breaking up" blues/rock territory and it really does give that "halfway house" type sound, with the body of a 'bucker, and the clarity of a single coil. Nice. Get into the high gain region, and it growls with some authority. The bridge pickup is clear, as you'd expect, with too much tone dialled up, it can get too shrill for me, but it sounds great, flick the rear set switch to the neck pup, and you're rewarded with a nice "plummy" sound, great for lead's/solo's. Combined gives a really nice useable combination of both pup's quality's.

I sat down in front of Cubase with it, and on the individual coil's it does pick up some CRT interference, flick the switch to the middle setting, and voila, no noise!

In short, try one, and prepare to be surprised.

I saw some Tokai copies with P-90 pickups in the newer catalogues yesterday (Goldtop, Junior and a Special I think), but I don't know if they or PRS offer them lefthanded, too. Another possibility is of course to install humbucker sized P-90s in a normal Les Paul etc. Did I mention my Gibson P-94s here lately? :wink:

you could consider tot do that, putting p90's in a normal les paul, but i don't think the tone would be as bright as the prs, as a normal les paul has a much heavier body, resulting in a way deeper timbre than the much lighter characteristics of the prs body.. but it would be sweet too of course, p90 are, in my opinion, one of the best pickups ever made....

Back