Tokai TJ65E (Gibson J-160E copy) hum problem

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatcomber

Reaction score
Hi - I am a new Tokai owner, and just acquired a TJ65E on eBay. (The TJ65E is a copy of a Gibson J-160E - a dreadnaught with a P90-style PU mounted on the top.)

Unfortunately, the guitar has a pretty bad hum when amplified. I brought it to a tech who was unable to fix the problem. (There is nothing metal touching the strings, such as a metal tailpiece, to ground the strings.) His recommendation was to drill a hole in the bridge and run a wire up to the top and along the strings. That's too intrusive, so I'm looking for other solutions.

Has anyone else had this problem with TJ65Es or similar acoustic/electrics?

I've sent an email directly to Tokai asking for a replacement PU, but I'm not expecting a positive response. We'll see...

Thanks for any and all help you can offer.

I have the same guitar with the same hum.It also developed a crack between the p/u and the sound hole. Other than that the guitar is great. Sounds great acoustically and plays like a dream.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your guitar. So, you have the same hum problem? Since I just bought it new (from a dealer off eBay), Tokai is sending me a replacement PU, to see if that'll fix the problem.

Latest posts

Back