Guitar show a dud, but ...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaigeezer

Reaction score
Went to my first guitar show, in Phoenix last weekend. Not a lot of dealers there, no manufacturers to speak of. Spotted one Tokai Tele from Steve?s Guitars with post 85 headstock in metallic green that looked nice and was priced reasonably, I guess, at $400.

First off, my 10-year old son talked me out of not selling the Les Paul Deluxe Pro, the 11-pound featherweight I was expecting to drag around with me at this guitar show, so I'll keep it until he decides whether or not he wants to play.

The best stuff there was from some custom builders from California, Michael Spalt of Spalt Bass and Totem Guitar fame, and his partner, Leo Skala, who makes Scala guitars.

The Scala guitars are Les Paul inspired, and have the most amazing tops I have ever seen: 1/2 inch thick figured maple! The Classic has a regular double humbucker setup, and the Logic has a single coil between them, which gives really good Strat tones besides. Their headstocks have a Stratish shape to them. Their sound is to die for. Don't remember pricing but I think they were around $2,500 - $3,000. Not exactly cheap, but drop dead gorgeous and the tone is unreal, unlike something similarly priced from Fibson! You get what you pay for, and everything is handmade, with pickups from Leo?s shop collection (they also do lots of repair work) tone-matched to each guitar. And no, I don't work for the guy!

here's his site:

www.scalaguitars.com

But as I have said, I'm not a Lester man. I am about to buy one of Leo's Strat copies (for much less than the above models), a unique one that I'll post some pictures on when I do get it.

GASsed again, dang it! :D

Latest posts

Back