2001 Lover Rock flame top

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubedogsmith

Reaction score
I just picked up a Love Rock which I've dtermined is a 2001 by the impressed serial # on the back of the headstock. It has a one piece mahoghany back, two piece flame top(the center seam in the pup route makes it look like a solid top) and one piece neck with the exception of a piece of wood scarfed on to the heel. It has two screw truss road cover, fullsize pots and an ABR-1 style bridge. I can't see any model designation on this guitar. Anybody have any idea what it is or where I would look for a model name or number. After buying a few of these I've finally got one that plays and sounds great. So I'm happy there.

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the pup route again, I didn't notice anything the first time. I'll look closer at the top in the route as well. This guitar has the frets extending over the binding too. The fret ends aren't dressed great but if I decide to keep it I'll fix that up and roll the fretboard edges too.

Lift neck pickup and there would be a designation there in the routing,mine was.

loverockerUK said:
Be interesting to find out which model would combine a 1-piece back and solid flame top with that heel fillet? :-?

I'm interested too - all MM 2001 Limited Edition I saw had two or three pieces backs; still the job is VERY well done with good matching, so it's possible that you missed the join if not looking close. Look at the sides , it's the better place to check.
Btw I love my Cherry Burst 2001 ltd 8) .

Ok, there is a piece of tape in the neck pup route that was covered in cherry stain which is why i missed it the first time, very hard to read. The guitar is an LS80F. It does have a two piece back, very hard to see. In the pickup route the top seam goes all the way thru the maple. If it's a laminate and everything says it is they did a great job matching everything. The hard brown tokai case it came with is pretty cool too. Thanks for the help.

s'funny how these things crop up in a bunch some times:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2716&start=15

no need to worry mr smith you're not alone

:wink:

GB

Thanks again for the help guys. I've owned some Tokai lesters over the years, mostly from the early '80's and the other a few more recent, and most of them have not been all that great from a tone perspective. I'm not too big on measuring everything and verify details but this one sounds noticable better than the others so I thought I'd see if I could find out why. The bridge is a little buzzy and the pots are more like an on and off switch but those will be easy to fix. Like I mentioned earlier the fret ends need some work too but I've spent a whole ot more and got a whole let less before so I'm happy.

Back