ORVILLE BY GIBSON or TOKAI?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunfreak

Reaction score
Anyone A/B'd a Orville LP against a Tokai of around the same era?

How was comparative build quality/finish/hardware etc???

Cheers

Shaun

Hi Shaunfreak,Orville by Gibson are high end replicas with Gibson pickups, hardware and nitro finish.Orville on the other hand are the lower spec models ie japanese pickups,hardware and poly finish (still well made though!). :)

Mickey where you at, I'm from just down the road in Darlo.

pb

and as i understand it,,,orville also utilizes weight relief holes in the body of the guitars. the lp's anyway.

Hey up Prince your from Darlo eh? Are you a football fan? I'm from the good old capital of the North East....................Hartlepool.

Small world mate.

Dead right mate H'angus the monkey, he was Hartlepool Utd mascot. A monkey was once hanged in Hartlepool suspected of being a spy from France so H'angus! get it? When Pools are playing at home he comes on the pitch with a plastic guitar and Whole Lotta Rosie by AC/DC is played over the P.A. I'ts usually better than the football.

Mr Mojo speaks the truth,the 'French spy incident' did take place.If you ever find yourself in Hartlepool get yourself down to the pub....the locals love to talk about it! :wink:
Welcome aboard Mickey!!
pb

It's all about the BRAND NAME .. Their build quality are pretty much the same just different design or which GIbbie model they were replicating....They are were made in the same factory with the same workers... Their main differences are the electronics... that's all...

I now much prefered new BACCHUS, EDWARDS, and MOMOSE.. you can't go wrong with any of these...

gaijin said:
It's all about the BRAND NAME .. Their build quality are pretty much the same just different design or which GIbbie model they were replicating....They are were made in the same factory with the same workers...
Greco, Burny, Orville and ObG are indeed from the same factory as far as I know. Tokai is not from the same factory.

As for the Orville vs Tokai - hard to say. All I know is that I prefer my Tokai over my friend's early 90s Greco (I prefer the Tokai's neck profile and it is a bit lighter), but the Greco is still an excellent guitar. I'd buy one - great guitars and the price on Grecos and Burnys is much better than on Tokais (and Orvilles by the way). Especially the price difference between Greco/Burny and the regular Orvilles is ironic because they are indeed essentially the same guitar. Maybe we shouldn't talk about this too much though, we'd be giving up some of the last 'Japanese secrets' and I might be interested in getting a cheap SG to add to my meager electric collection in the future :D

I now much prefered new BACCHUS, EDWARDS, and MOMOSE.. you can't go wrong with any of these...
Funnily enough, I believe Edwards is also from the Greco/Burny/Orville factory :-?

"Funnily enough, I believe Edwards is also from the Greco/Burny/Orville factory" ....ArthurS

hehehe.. probably... I remember asking most of not all Japanese guitar shop owner that I go to (from Hokkaido to Shikoku) about Tokai.. And their replied were "they were all are from the same factory"..
But then who cares which Japanese factory they came from... hehehe.. They are all finely made LP... Tokai in Japan is not as popular like they use to.. And according to them, Tokai just does not have the quality like they use to or comparing to other manufacturer like BACCHUS, EDWARDS, etc...
But as far as highest quality with the best bang for your buck kind of deal. IMHO, look for BACCHUS BLS-140, BLS-59, BLS-120, BLS-240 ...

lasher said:
and as i understand it,,,orville also utilizes weight relief holes in the body of the guitars. the lp's anyway.

No. It has been done on a few models. probably the ones made in Korea. On most Orville models I have tried it was exactly the same spec as the orville by Gison exept the pick up.

Very hard to do, because like Gibson there is not a lot of consistency. I've owned good and bad ones from all years. I would give the nod to the OBG over the std. Orville. And I've owned some great Greco's . I can't say I ever owned a Burny that I held on to for very long. The tokai's feel different too. And of course my Gibsons feel different from all the above. You either have to find one you like , or swap out the parts and do the setup until you get it right for you.

gaijin said:
It's all about the BRAND NAME .. Their build quality are pretty much the same just different design or which GIbbie model they were replicating....They are were made in the same factory with the same workers... Their main differences are the electronics... that's all
I don't know who said that ******** first but everybody repeat it ever since then. :-?
Tokai are made in the Tokai factory
Orville were made by IIDA, Fujiigen and Terada
Greco were made in different plants, for 2 years at Matsumoku (Aria) and then at fujiigen gakki (like Ibanez but Hoshino moveed to other plants after).
Burny is made by Fernandes (fujiigen ).

Latest posts

Back