Love Rock Newbie Q's

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuikit

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking into getting Japanese Tokai Love Rock and would like to ask you coupla Q's...

1) Which ones have carved tops??
2) I see lots on ebay for sale...prices look good...but there will be duty to go on top right?? does anyone know how much?? is there any way of avoiding this duty?? loophole etc?? Has anyone tried buying from these places in Japan selling on ebay?? I'm in the UK..
3) What's the best place in the North West for trying out these babies?? I've seen barely any anywhere...certainly not enough for a good comparision test etc...
4) How much protection does the included gig bag give?? would people recommend getting a hard case??

many thanks!!
sk

shuikit said:
Hello all,

I'm looking into getting Japanese Tokai Love Rock and would like to ask you coupla Q's...

1) Which ones have carved tops??
2) I see lots on ebay for sale...prices look good...but there will be duty to go on top right?? does anyone know how much?? is there any way of avoiding this duty?? loophole etc?? Has anyone tried buying from these places in Japan selling on ebay?? I'm in the UK..
3) What's the best place in the North West for trying out these babies?? I've seen barely any anywhere...certainly not enough for a good comparision test etc...
4) How much protection does the included gig bag give?? would people recommend getting a hard case??

many thanks!!
sk

1. All of them.

2. If you import, you have to pay 3.5% duty and 17.5% VAT on top of that. No legal way round it. The final price comes to about the same as UK street prices so unless you've got the bargain of the decade or want an LS200/320 it's not worth the hassle. Most of us who've bought from japan have used GS Universe (proper dealer, not ebay) and had good experiences.

3. Wizard guitars seems good but a bit pricey with the old stuff.

4. If you're shipping long distance I wouldn't trust anything weaker than a hardcase.

2. Paladin is right. The one thing you can try, though I won't say I have any experience with this, is to have the seller write a lower value on the package (eg $350 instead of $550). This could help you save a little bit of money, but it might also mean that your guitar will not be insured for the full value (I'm don't really know about this, but it would make sense to me).

4. My LS80F came all the way from Japan to Holland in a very cheap, crappy gigbag. It was completely undamaged, though I should add that it was packed in numerous layers bubble-wrap (the total length was litterally over ten meters when spread out on the floor). The diameter of the wrap covering the neck alone, was about 4-5 inches thick. So it can be done if your seller packs well, but for a next time I'd be inclined to order a hard case just in case.

Hi Shuikit,

Paladin is right about the Tax & Duty (plus shipping charges of course), however, I disagree with what he says about ??it's not worth the hassle?? (100% friendly disagreement of course, :lol: LoL!).

This has all been ?dissected? before ? e.g. see my comments, & others, in thread entitled - ?Where Did You Brits Buy Your Love Rock? (posted Dec.15th). In summary:- I found eBay/import was by far the best choice for older so-called ?vintage? Tokai, but of course you must understand the risks, & you must clarify every detail with the seller 8) .

Ian.

3. Have you tried "Frets" in Blackpool. They advertise in Guitarist etc, and seem to have some of the better deals in the UK for Tokai's at the moment. I'll try and find the address & phone & URL if they have one!

Personally, I don't trust gig bags. They're OK in the short term, for lugging you guitar around, but don't really give you the protection for your pride & joy if you need to travel anywhere with it. When you buy, haggle with the dealer to either throw in a hard case, or do one cheap as well as the usual goodies (strings, strap or leads etc).

Good luck and welcome to the madhouse! ;)

ian said:
Hi Shuikit,

Paladin is right about the Tax & Duty (plus shipping charges of course), however, I disagree with what he says about ??it's not worth the hassle?? (100% friendly disagreement of course, :lol: LoL!).

This has all been ?dissected? before ? e.g. see my comments, & others, in thread entitled - ?Where Did You Brits Buy Your Love Rock? (posted Dec.15th). In summary:- I found eBay/import was by far the best choice for older so-called ?vintage? Tokai, but of course you must understand the risks, & you must clarify every detail with the seller 8) .

Ian.

For old tokais I heartily agree with you - often its the only option. New, and i stand by my original post :evil:

:wink:

Hi Paladin,

Yep, agreed re. new Tokai. And of course there are loads of advantages to actually handling the guitar & trying it in the shop before you buy :-? .

Ian.

ian said:
Hi Paladin,

Yep, agreed re. new Tokai. And of course there are loads of advantages to actually handling the guitar & trying it in the shop before you buy :-? .

Ian.

That's what sucks about being here in the U.S.
Can't try before you buy as far as Tokais are concerned.
Though, I've become accustomed to buying direct with my Carvins.
Then agian, a million little grubby hands havent been
handling and abusing it either when buying direct.

Kent

i've recently imported a love rock to the uk from an ebayer in japan

i paid the shipping $120 on top but did not pay and import aor VAT duty on it??????.....it was a 94 love rock custom.............is the import/VAT only apllying to new geetars??

shaunfreak said:
i've recently imported a love rock to the uk from an ebayer in japan

i paid the shipping $120 on top but did not pay and import aor VAT duty on it??????.....it was a 94 love rock custom.............is the import/VAT only apllying to new geetars??

[monty python] You Lucky, Lucky B@$T@7d! [/monty python] :lol:

Thanks for all your advice..

not really been thinking bout getting an old Tokai...are they "better" than the new ones??

...hmm...Blackpool is a bit of a trek...

Anyone know any good places for Tokai in the Manchester/Leeds area??

What about the place they have near Sheffield...is that just a warehouse?? or do they have facilities for you to try/shop there too??

sk

shuikit said:
Thanks for all your advice..

not really been thinking bout getting an old Tokai...are they "better" than the new ones??

They're more collectable, but the jury's out on that one. Specs have altered over the years and model numbers (tied with list price) have been adjusted accordingly. A 2004 LS75 is the same as a 2000 LS65, but the "75" gives the impression that it should be higher spec than the 65 - this doesn't make the modern 75 "worse", but confusion could arise since old 75's had a flame veneer top (now called LS80F). Same holds true with 80's vs modern models. I just read that paragraph through and I hope it's not too confusing...

I reckon it was bloody stupid to tie in model numbers with list price. :roll:

I don`t think so. If you look at the Fenders from Japan, many sellers don`t include the entire model number either because they don`t want to or they don`t know it. If you`re looking for a 52 type tele, it could be a 38, 43,85,80,58,70, or 65 model, which vary a great deal in quality of parts and wood. So Tokai make it easier... the price is the model number. BUT even then, there could be basic models that the original buyer could have tweaked with upgrades, so there are exceptions.
The differences between a Tokai 65 and 75 is due to inflation I believe. As you say , the same guitar... at least I think thats what you said.

Back