Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who here is a Greco collector?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greco was Kanda Shokai own's brand,that became Fender Japan then as far as Fender replicas concern.Gibson replicas could be Orville(there were a lot of similitudes between 335 style Grecos and Orvilles)but I feel Orville is Epiphone Japan.In fact when Orville were out Epiphone Japan were in,then Epiphone Japan became Epiphone Elite.
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a site with some info on Greco as well as other makers.

http://www.therathole.org/guitars/guitarlist.html

Epiphone Japan is still making guitars apart from the Elites. Matsumoku was involved with Grecos for the early years too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luis wrote:
Greco was Kanda Shokai own's brand,that became Fender Japan then as far as Fender replicas concern.Gibson replicas could be Orville(there were a lot of similitudes between 335 style Grecos and Orvilles)but I feel Orville is Epiphone Japan.In fact when Orville were out Epiphone Japan were in,then Epiphone Japan became Epiphone Elite.

Isn't Kanda Shokai a music store? Not a manufacturer?

Yes, every one knows that Orville by Gibson and Orville became Epiphone Japan and then Epiphone Elite. These are brand names not manufacturers. Gibson just kept changing the names for some odd reason.
Personally I think Gibson should have released the Epiphone Elite (Elitist) under the Orville name instead. I think the Elites would get more respect then.

My understanding is that Fender japan, Orville (as well as Epi japan and Elite), Ibanez, Greco, Burny were all manufacturered in the Fuji Gen Gakki plant. Save the some of the Semi Hollows which were made in the Tarada (or something) plant.

Ibanez and Greco are most notable for this since many Ibanez models were also released under the Greco name as well. The Iceman being one of the most recognized Ibanez and Greco shapes.

kent
kherman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test!
Darn site keeps putting me as guest.
So, I tried re-logging in.

Kent
ajax24u
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: im one Reply with quote

i have a 77 greco les paul custom black beuty and a greco sg.im trying to find out what year it is because there are no serial numbers
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very odd,they must have an Ibanez serial number starting by letter+77
20 century boy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I must admit I'm gettin mostly focused on greco now! This brand is really incredible in term of replicas! I mean, their strats are amazing, their Les Paul are fantastic, their firebirds are the best and I've never seen that much perfection in a Gretsch replica.
20 century boy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luis wrote:

Right, Kanda produced some canda accoustic guitars and the greco were the electric stuff.
Greco were first made in Matsumoku (like Aria) but then moved to fujigen gakki. It might be possible that, at some time, the guitars were made in both plants simultaneously. Orville and Burny were made in various plants. Some in fujigen gakki.
hogguitar
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got an 85 black and 86 white Greco LP Custom on E-bay from Japan. They were each under $400 after shipping charges to Seattle, and arrived within 3 days from auction close. They aren't as nice as my 80 Tokai LS-80, but each cost less than half the price of the Tokai. They are both very nice Les Pauls. I see them regularly on E-bay going for around the same price. Buy them now before people catch on to what nice guitars these are and drive up the price.
20 century boy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogguitar wrote:
I recently got an 85 black and 86 white Greco LP Custom on E-bay from Japan. They were each under $400 after shipping charges to Seattle, and arrived within 3 days from auction close. They aren't as nice as my 80 Tokai LS-80, but each cost less than half the price of the Tokai. They are both very nice Les Pauls. I see them regularly on E-bay going for around the same price. Buy them now before people catch on to what nice guitars these are and drive up the price.

Greco has some really cool high end models that can compete with any Tokai. It's mostly a mater of model range. In fact, both brands reach the top at the same period ( end 70's to start of 80's). Greco has its nerds in japan while tokai is mostly adorated outside japan.
tokaigeek
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across a greco LP sunburst that seems to have the hollow chambers and don't know anything about the guitar. It's a 3 pickup configuration with no inlays on the headstock (just the greco label) and trapezoids on the neck. I can't remember the serial but it starts with a G787...something something. I was hoping you guys can tell me enough about it to push me into convincing my friend to sell.
theskywolf
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a 1980 Super Real EG1000 Les Paul ... it will arrive the next days ... I've heard it should be a relly KILLER axe ... let's see

There's a EG900 from 1978 on ebay right now (not mine, just saw it).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: