Gretsch Copies

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUITAR CELLAR

Reaction score
I have been looking on the Fender forum and they are singing the praises of ARBOR brand guitars as a great affordable Gretsch copies. Have any of you seen or played one of these?

We just got the Dillion Gretsch Duo Jet (George Harrison) copies in and I am impressed with the quality. By the way....notice the (t) Tokai Bigsby style vibrato on it.
duo3.jpg

loverockerUK said:
Very pretty, but - and please take this in the friendly spirit intended - shouldn't these postings really be in the (general) Guitars topic, not the Tokai topic?

Well, the Tigsby was relevant.

Well I suppose you are right....I just thought everyone would enjoy seeing these cool guitars...
I guess you cant please everybody...

these low end guitars always look really nice when they`re new but I often wonder how they will be after 5 or 10 years. We have loads of MIKs and Made in Chinas here in Japan but I don`t know anybody who owns one so I can only speculate how they will age. guess at those prices we shouldn`t expect too much. This is not a personal flame, but I do wonder. They look nice... but I really believe in you get what you pay for. `course in Gibsons case, and for Fender custom shops you pay way too much. I assume they are targeted to the beginner, or folks who don`t have a lot of money to spend on a guitar, so they do fill a niche.

loverockerUK.....
My question is what is not relevant about a Gretsch copy that is made in the Tokai Korean factory and the fact that they use a Tokai Bigsby?..... What is irrelevlant about putting up another cool Gretsch copy since we are on the subject of Gretsch? If you have not figured it out yet....Dillion is made at the same factory and they are two peas on a pod. The only thing I consider irrelevant is the fact that you do not seem to like it very much for some reason and you want to point it out because it is not a subject that you are interested in. I hate to feel that I help pay for this site that we all enjoy...just to get slammed for showing some great guitars. Aren't cool guitars what it's all about? I actually feel it was a little rude although you might not have intended it that way.

Sneakyjapan
As far as longevity of these inexpensive guitars....you could have said the same thing about Hofner & Fender back in the 50's or the Tokai's in the 60's & 70's. I think Fender has to be the one of the most inexpensive guitars ever made and they are still great...along with the copies.

I own a 1978 Tokai Les Paul Reborn and that thing is built like a tank... weighs about as much too. It will out live me for sure.

Hi GC,

You know it?s funny how everyone reads things a different way. It?s happened to me before ? I say something totally benign, & somehow the reader thinks it?s cause for war. Funny thing was in this case Loverocker specifically went out of his way to be polite & respectful. Mention of money worries me though.

Hey Ned, why don?t guys with more that 50 posts (say) pay a modest annual subscription?

Ian.

Yes ...words in black & white can be misunderstood sometimes because you cant hear the the voice behind it. I think it is easy to misunderstand someones intention sometimes in e-mails or on forums . Point taken.
No harm..no foul? :)

Back