Orville by Gibson acoustics

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schocker

Reaction score
I know that Orville by Gibson made some good electrics and ranked high in the Japanese guitar manufacturers but how do their acoustics fare? Tokai acoustics seem to be held in a dim light by many ardent Tokai electric enthusiasts, so is that same doubt cast over the Orvilles?

Thanks

Never really seen an OBG acoustic until today. There's a 10 year old J 45 model on eBay (sorry, couldn't figure out how to get the link onto this message) that looks pretty nice. You may want to ask the seller some questions....I've also seen him post lots of Tokai's as well.

Just bought a new Korean Tokai J 45 and the attention to detail is excellent. Solid spuce top and well place bracing within - nice and light too.

Interestingly, the neck has a soft V profile and is comfortably narrow. The tone is very balanced and quite resonant. I also have a Taylor 25th anniversary dreadnaught and though the Tokai doesn't quite compare to it, I'm very happy with it.

Had I seen the Orville before I snagged the Tokai, I would have been tempted to wait.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Back