Take a look this vintage beauty (Tokai, oldies goldies 70-80

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drt

Reaction score
DSC03199.jpg

DSC03208.jpg

DSC03209.jpg

DSC03210.jpg

DSC03214.jpg

having look through recent posts, I am very disappointed that people are having discussion about Korean Tokai or farely cheapy version of Tokai. In my brief, Tokai is "oldies and goldies" -> legend of good old Japanese guitar = late 70s and early 80s. I admit current tokai is not bad but time wont come back, 70s and 80s are the best. I have recently got this vintage beauty, ES150J made in 1981. It is absolutely stunning, this is so nice I cann't say a word for that, top and back is finest maple ever I have seen, difficult to see on the pics but there are thosands of birds eyes, even flames! Neck is fat type, not like current Gibson, slim taper type and I LOVE it. It is just right size and produce aboslute thick creamy vintage tone.

Now come on people, I know you are obsessed Tokai freaks, ES 150 isn't most popular instruments of Tokai is it? Get your old vintage axes out and discuss in right here! Show your Love rock 200 or even reborn 200! I have recently seen Reborn 120 flame top on the web and this is absolutely beauty, lovely cherry sunburst. I wonder what is 200 like. Tokai people, show up your self!

More pictures in here
http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kyhh_squallleonheart/my_photos

I challenge anyone to play a modern 200 or 320 and still say the oldest are unequivocally better. 8)

Unfortuantely uploadit.org is on the blink right now so pics are out. :oops:

Congrats on the ES150J nice looking guitar.I've seen an ES 185 on a Japanese site but I don't know any of the spec.Apparently Tokai are bringing out ES200 and 320 versions (should be interesting!)and I would think they are going to be on a par with the best older Toks and the best of the new ones! :wink:

pb

As it's been for a while since I post this message and absolutely nobody have responsed opinion about high grade vintage tokai, I have to assume nobody in this forum have high grade reborn or high grade vintage Love rock and cannot make comparison to the current one. Well, I thought this forum is for new tokai as well as vintage one as someone posted previously, but now looks like it is not. My ES150J is looks like the only vintage queen exist in this forum...

Hi drt,
It's too easy to get into this Gibsonesque,7enderesque debate about old v's new guitars, at the end of the day a great guitar is a great guitar no matter which year it was made, or by whom.
I think it's an insult to the modern day luthiers who are our lifeblood,to think old is best.
Sorry for the rant but I've just come in from a night out slightly pissed!!! :roll:

pb

sneaky, I think there are "visible" group and "blind" group and you are in blind (looks like prince bishop is in visible group) I don't see why pics are not coming up on your comp, have you tried my link?
Princeb, you are absolutely right, how come I did not realise it? Let's go for a drink, have tons of pints and then let's go to buy Gibson LP historic 3D book match flame top, the best one! well, the shop might be closed by that time, so do you want to grab Korean LS with hang over...

OK followed the link, saw the pics. Nice guitar....almost as nice as my Yamaha SA-2200.

Back