URGENT - which Tokai strat for Texas Blues tone ala SRV?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srvtone

Reaction score
Help guys! I have only just joined this forum on my quest for Stevie Ray Vaughan tone. Could anyone rate the following vintage guitars that are currently on EBAY in terms of craftsmanship/tone before I bid. Thank you so much. :eek:

1980 OWH Goldstar Ebay # 2370152827 (this one closes in one day)

1982 'Blackie' Limited Edition 2370958639 (minimal fretwear)

Cream body silverstar 2371072759

Sunburst silverstar 1977/1978 2370872167

They are probably all very good but any help would be much appreciated. I will of course feedback to the forum when I have played it against my other strats. My luthier certainly recommends Tokai!!

My opinion only but I think the first one, the un-logo'd Springy Sound would be my favourite. Cream Body, Rosewood Board and correct vintage hardware. At $299 so far it seems to be a bargain. I have a Fiesta Red Springy of the same age fitted with Texas Specials and it sounds great to me, I play thru' a Boogie Studio 22+ and I play a lot of SRV/Trower/Gallagher stuff. The standard pups on the Tokai are great also but easy to change about to experiment with your sound. Go for it, good luck !

hi srvtone,
check out the Fralin Vintage Hot pickups they have a hotter 'bell like' tone.

Good luck
pb

:p Thanks Nik and Prince. Incidentally the seller for the first guitar initially advised me that the Tokai label is only just visible on the headstock of the cream "Tokai Vintage '64 Fender Copy" but wasn't sure what model it is and thought it was an 80s SS60, SS70 or ST60 or ST70. He later advised its a Goldstar (serial #015425) but from my limited readings of this forum an '84 is one of the earliest Goldstars. Nik do you really think its a springy sound?

Fretwear is 5/10 and while it certainly looks vintage will it take well to refrets having a thin veneer rosewood fretboard? Thanks again. Prince I have a custom strat project guitar with maple neck which includes Fralins and yes a beautiful clear tone - I'm after a somewhat darker, warmer rosewood sound rather than the maple quack.

Hi SRVTONE,
Because his description is in broken English a bit, its a bit difficult to be sure. But his description says 1980, so it would be a Springy, also a good guide is what is marked on the Tuners and bridge saddles. It sounds from the description that they are marked "TOKAI", which would also make it a Springy of pre 1982. If the tuners are marked "DELUXE", it could be a Springy from 1982-83 or a post 1984 Goldy. One odd feature I notice is the single ply pickguard on a 1960's replica with rosewood board, I have only ever seen this on earlier Tokai's (pre 1980) So ask if it is original, (any extra or spare holes drilled etc ?)
A refret on the veneer board should not be a problem if done by a reputable Luthier, much easier than on a Maple board (IMO)
By the way, replacement Tokai waterslide logos come up quite regularly on Ebay if you wish to make it original again.

Hi srvtone,....me again!!
just as a point of reference my Goldstar is a 64 replica and has a slim neck (referring to your other post about thick neck profiles) :-?
Make sure to string it with 13's (ouch!) for that authentic SRV tone :wink:

pb

:oops: Any idea whether the cream unlogo'd 64 replica has a chunky neck as I forgot to ask seller.

Finally had a look at that cream Springy...didn't like the cracks around the neck pocket,single ply scratchplate or the logo being removed,personally I would stay clear but that's just my opinion!!Ask a lot of questions!!
good luck
pb

Still looks like going cheap though ! and it is 24 years old !
If that one doesnt work out, check this on Ebay.co.uk
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2370837499&category=2384&rd=1 its only an ST-40 but the seller sent me some pics and the condition looks outstanding. Only upto ?180 at the moment, and they generally go for around the ?250 mark. Sunburst too, so would make a great SRV rep.

:-? Very helpful guys, thanks! Yes now that I actually LOOK the 'cracks' are clearly visible - whether real or imagined I don't know and I doubt there is sufficient time now for the seller to fully respond to all of my many questions. I have contacted the ST40 owner Nik, thanks.

:roll: I'm confused. Apparently Fender is looking to produce a very expensive relic version SRV strat this year and there are countless copies. If only Tokai could make a true relic replica to #1s specs we wouldn't have to endure overinflated prices. Cheers

I have recently received a little information regards the cream 'springy' and the pickguard is original and there is "7-9" on the neck heel, "U" on the grey undersides of the pickups and "1-1 OW" in one of the body cavities.

:( There is only a few hours to go and I still don't know whether or not the cracks are an issue. I wonder if Ebay sellers could offer 'Tokai Registry Certified instruments' including approximate year of manufacture, model, condition etc :D

The cracks are only through the paint. Now if I could know that the neck is reasonably chunky and not thin like my EC strat - That is have some serious leverage for bending heavy strings I'd bid on this Tokai :wink:

:( i'm freakin' out dude! The neck is the thick type now regards the faint logo...maybe its a 'reliced' (old/worn not as in headlice) '79 neck on an '80 body? Help

Sorry couldnt give any more advice to your last few posts it was the middle of the night in the UK !
So how did you get on then ? are you srv2guitar ?
It went for under ?200, which I think was a great buy !

:) Yes indeed I have bought the mystery guitar ...thankyou so much for your help! Perhaps my key reservation was the cracks but I have been advised that these are in the paint only. The seller replied promptly to most questions and included further photographs. I just have to know what dang model this guitar is! I will feedback to the forum as I will probably need to call on your expertise. I am still mystified however as to the significance or otherwise between silver, gold, limited edition and springy PLAYABILITY and TONE - indeed there is relatively little information on Harmony Central except perhaps an overall indication that Tokais are in general very good. It will be most interesting to see what my luthier has to say :-? Thanks again! Hamish

Nice one Hamish, I see you are in New Zealand so you should receive it fairly soon. My Breezy Sound Tele took only 4 days from Tokyo to Great Britain (mijsixstringkatana - highly recommended ebayer!)
Identifying the model isnt so easy on the earlier models as I have noticed their specs varied quite a lot in the late 70's early 80's. Enjoy the guitar for what it is, it looks great to me, my personal favourite colour/neck combination.
Let us know how you get on when it arrives.

congratulations Hamish,
my only real concern were the cracks around the neck pocket,but if the seller says they are ok and nothing to worry about thats fine.Sounds like you got a bargain!Let us know how you get on! :D

pb

Back