Pickups For 335

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazzle

Reaction score
Santa has been!! He kindly brought me a Korean 335 - build quality is ace but I fancy changing the stock pickups.

Want somthing thats warm and jazzey. any suggestions?

A pair of Seth Lovers would fit very well.Some people think they sound better on solid guitars but they are very useful on a semi guitar.

I supose to be a joke :) .Tokai did make an 335 Alvin Lee model for a very short period,3 pick-ups(being the middle one a single coil)

Hey Dazzle,

I'm with Luis on the Seth Lovers. I put a pair into my Orville 61 SG R/I and think that they sound better than the Seymour Duncan Antiquities or the Gibson Classic 57's. They're warm, not too squawky but will respond with all of the spank you need when you push them. I can only imagine how they would sound in a 335.

Good luck!

Marcus

Hey Guitar Celler,I am very corious about how the middle single coil pickups can sound on a 335!

I think that I just replied to Dazzles post at the SD forum. I put Seths in my ES-100 and it's a huge improvement. Here's my post from the SD forum:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which Tokai did you get? I got a ES-100 in November. The stock pickups aren't that bad, but they're not that good either.

I put some Seth Lovers in them and I am really happy with them. I posted some clips some time ago:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/marinbluesmusic.htm

with overdrive:
STEEL 335

clean:
SUNDAY SUNSHINE
VENZA LATIN

higher gain:
SETH HOT

marin

Listen to a Ten Years After album and hear the difference. They are hot......
Also consider tsome Gibson Burstbuckers or the Angus Young Humbucker. I also like the EMG select humbuckers because they are inexpensive....sound great and are low noise.

After much listening and tooing and froing I decided that Seth Lovers were my favourite. Then I saw the price around ?100 each + shipping - ouch!!!

Whilst surfing the net in a very depressed frame of mind I came across an brand new, never fitted in the box pair for ?70 each including shipping

Should be here tomorrow. Will let you know how they work out. Just need to find a good luthier now.

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations

Latest posts

Back