Old Grey Whistle Test

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaiguy

Reaction score
:lol: I got the DVD yesterday!!! I know you guys in the UK have seen these clips before but I was blown away by the live, in studio performances!!! Elton "Tiny Dancer" at a Steinway all by himself! Edgar Winter Group" Frankenstein" with Rick Deringer! Little Feat!! and my favorite clip...The Great Rory Gallagher "Hands Off"!!! 8) Man , that was a great TV show!! I also got "A Concert For George" and " Finding Nemo" wich has played in my daughters room for the last 3 Days!! TG 8) "two degrees in be-bop, a PHD in swing, he's a master of rhthym he's a Rock n Roll King"

Hi Tokaiguy,

Ha,?.really enjoy your reminiscences here, LoL! Yeah, the Old ?GW Test was a fine program for showing really good bands. All sorts of people played live on that show (late night), but just off-hand I recall Bill Nelson of BeBop Deluxe doing lovely raw renditions of ?Sister Seagull? and ?Maid in Heaven? with a very resonant Gibson semi (335 I think). Great stuff 8) !

Ian.

:eek: You are Killing Me! Bill Nelson is a God!! I saw Be Bop Deluxe on every American Tour they ever made! They played The Hollywood Sportatorium North of Miami on the Drastic Plastic tour opening for Blue Oyster Cult. I have a rare copy of "Live In The Air-age" on CD that no one can borrow! I hear you have Be Bop tribute bands in the U.K. The englishman who works for me has gone home for the Holiday, I set up his Springy before he left, He found the original Tokai pup's at his Mum's house is bringing them back for my Christmas gift! By the by, I'm a Harvey Too! 8) Cheers TG

8) Bob is on this DVD along with all the other hosts , you see them then and now! Time has not been kind to the female! :D TG

:) Thats the one! She has an MBE behind her name. Are MBE's like a Star On The Hollywood Walk Of Fame, you can buy one? :eek: Added material on the DVD has Mick and Keef interviews, Elton and Bernie etc... Keef's Teef's were a dental nightmare!! Did'nt realise who much I liked Rory's music till I say that clip 8) TG

Whispering Bob can be found on Radio 2 doing a country show - he's still sounds as cool as ever. He also does the annual country music awards on telly.

I must admit to being a little jealous of the American country scene, as an ex sessioner and muso in my own right I wish there was a place where we old gutarists could go to earn a crust in the UK.

I agree Barry, Rory was very cool but I don't find the albums very hot.

GB

:eek: I agree ! There is'nt a recording that captured him. Rory was at his best on stage. I saw him live 4 times in Rock Festival settings and he always delivered. 8) TG

I saw Rory Gallagher for the first time at the Newcastle City Hall Saturday 13th September 1980 (still got the ticket stub,how sad is that)!!!!anyway a few weeks later I got my first Fender Str*t and when I took it apart the neck was stamped 13th Sept '66,boy did I take that as an omen! :D I was going to be the biggest rock star ever!.....any way so much for bloody omens !:cry:
F*$%ing great gig though!! :D

pb

Latest posts

Back