Need help dating a surf green explorer tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauluz

Reaction score
Hi there! i'm a noob here but i am eagering to get some information about a very strange guitar i recently bought in a secondhand store. It's an explorer model, only surf green and without pickguard. It has only one humbucker positioned close to the bridge, one tone and one volume knob.

I found a picture on tokairegistry but they didn't tell what year they are from and what wood is used etc. Here is the pic, it's the one in the lower left corner: http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/oldies_f1.jpg

The neck is bolt-on, with 4 bolts. It has string-locking thingies on the head, which is also surf green coloured. It has 'Tokai' and 'Electric Guitar' written in gold on the headstock, below that it says 'the quality musical instruments of the world'. Next to that is a small bird with the words 'original series', the bird is also stamped in the floyd rose style tremolo bridge, along with the words EXTRA TOKAI.

There is a serial number at the back of the head: 3031847
There is also an oval black sticker with 65 on it.
The tuners are 'deluxe' and that was it basically.
I like the neck very much, pretty low action, almost no fret wear..

i bought it for €140, that's about $150. Does anyone have more information about this guitar or the 'original series' in general?

thanks, Pauluz.
btw nice forum!

ok thanks loverockerUK :), too bad there is no 1983 catalogue, or is the 'Tokai Oldies
Fender and Gibson copies, date unknown'-catalogue from 1983? it does feature my guitar under page 9: heavy metal 8)
The model number would be: EXD 65, with a maple neck and pallisander fretboard. Still, does anyone know what wood was used for the body and what the current marketvalue of such a guitar would be?
thanks,

pauluz

:lol: ok thanks a lot, i'm just gonna use it as second guitar, maybe screw a white explorer pickguard on it and wait till everyone wants those pointy surf green 80's metal guitars and trade it for a tele or something :roll:

Latest posts

Back