Moderators: ian, ned

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Re: "Best" Tokai LP Style Recommendation - Tokyo visit

Post by guitar hiro » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:09 pm

brokentoes wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:06 pm
Hell You are Toykyo !!!

I have 6 Tokai's myself so its not like i don't hold them in high esteem but..........unless your heart is set on Tokai, i'd look for some of the other makes as well. Bacchus, Crews, Navigator, Greco, Burny... the world is your oyster. I'm very envious of your visit. Enjoy your trip !!
IMO that is a great suggestion. 8)

Two of my three favorite MIJ Lesters are my Momose MLS-STD/J, and my Bacchus BLP-FM Relic.
The Momose meets the spec for a '58 neck & the Bacchus for a '59 neck spec.
The other one of the three (has the thickest neck/a solid '58 spec) shall remain a mystery but it is not a Tokai :o but that is not a slap at Tokai.
I just have other brands of MIJ that 'speak' to me with attributes that my Tokai Lesters just don't have; even my 2000 LS-320. :cry:
The biggest issue I have with my Tokais is the neck thickness just isn't meaty enough, which is a bummer.
'Jedi master internet bullshitter' extraordinaire, able to discern any & all models of guitar with "feel" :lol:

Ochanomizu
Plucker

Post by Ochanomizu » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:18 pm

I’m glad to hear about the necks. As time goes on I really like thicker necks more than slim. An accurate 59 profile is perfect for me.

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:23 pm

Info below from examples in TBOTB:
.900 @ fret 1 & .980 @ fret 11 = 1958 average
.883 @ fret 1 & .970 @ fret 11 = 1959 average
.831 @ fret 1 & .905 @ fret 11 = 1960 average
'Jedi master internet bullshitter' extraordinaire, able to discern any & all models of guitar with "feel" :lol:

Ochanomizu
Plucker

Post by Ochanomizu » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:42 pm

Great info! A 58 would suit me very well too.
I actually bought a 1960 vintage LPJunior and had to sell due to neck being too thin.

BrazenPickerNew
Sus4add11

Post by BrazenPickerNew » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:36 pm

Navigator has pretty big necks usually. Can't speak for modern Tokais but my vintage ones vary quite a bit in thickness and perception thereof (the contour is at least as important for that). One thing with some of these brands is that it may be easier to snap up a great deal in the US than in Japan (because of the bigger following they have there). But of course, infinitely wider selection in Japan, and you can try before you buy. Also more meaningful as a souvenir than something you buy online.

Another nice thing with Navigator is they usually come with nice Honduran rosewood boards. Not Brazilian (some do), but still very nice rosewood with a coarser look/wider pores than Indian, IMO. Momose also often has nice Madagascar Rosewood boards.
New but unimproved Brazenpicker account. Got locked out of the old one!

luis
Guitar God

Post by luis » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:02 am

Tokai neck size is perfect for me, over other brands I had including a well know you know one. I found LS150 2005 first released was the meatier whereas LS100 OR is the thinnest without being thing. Apple and oranges. matter I guess.
The Navigators Custom I owned were not thick as far as I remeber and I would say same as the 150 or a bit less thick.

teckfine
Plucker

Post by teckfine » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:48 am

to your question #2: there are some clues
(1) video is dated 1997
(2) head stock has Tokai Love Rock Model
(3) finger board is very dark, basically black, and no visible grain

going
by those attributes I would guess a 1981 LS-200V but I suppose we could ask the Rev's guitar tech Elwood Francis