This place used to be buzzing...

Discussion area for other MIJ Guitars

Moderator: ned

8bit Barry
Guitar God

This place used to be buzzing...

Post by 8bit Barry » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:52 pm

... seems like the interest in Tokai has really dropped off... there are hardly any new posts and discussion doesnt seem to pick up at all. Such a shame...

villager
Guitar God

Re: This place used to be buzzing...

Post by villager » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:28 am

the interest is increasing but there are now facebook groups where most of the discussion takes place

8bit Barry
Guitar God

Post by 8bit Barry » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:58 am

Bloody facebook! I'll go for a look...

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:57 am

This forum is still a wealth of information .... in the almost 20 years I've been here, Tokai (and other MIJ brands) is no longer the mystery it was before. Look at how flooded Ebay and Reverb are with them.... and for a hell of a lot more money. This forum in part has helped educate the masses and now there are plenty of other sites and pages to go to that didn't exist before.

What are you looking for specifically? I'd imagine that if you post it here, you'll get an answer.... you can also search topics and find pretty much anything.

HAMAMATSU
Guitar God

Post by HAMAMATSU » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:00 pm

8) i am trying and wishing people to come back here again so please god bless tokai forum!
QUALITY THAN QUANTITY!

8bit Barry
Guitar God

Post by 8bit Barry » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:40 pm

It’s a wealth of knowledge indeed. I just feel sad that any of my posts seem to take days to any response. Other people’s posts are the same.. there was always so much buzz with a lot of posts every day to help me learn more.
I own 3 x pre 1980 Reborns, a 2002 ES100, a USG90, I love them all and this place helped me understand that my money could be saved by investing in these fabulously made guitars instead of Gibson.
I recently did the full Jimmy Page in my 1980 Reborn Old Gold Top with a Bare Knuckle neck Riff Raff and a bridge Mule and the result has been so incredible. The guitar has ‘the neck’ a generous 59 C - I guess I wanted to connect with this place again but it’s been sad to see the demise.

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:34 am

Demise? I don't see it that way - look at the archive of posts, photos, links, etc. That didn't go away.
Forums or groups are like relationships - they mature and evolve.

8bit Barry
Guitar God

Post by 8bit Barry » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:45 pm

Ok perhaps not as strong a word as demise, down turn perhaps. What saddens me the most all the Photobucket image blurring, removing so much of the visual elements of these useful posts...

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:46 pm

8bit Barry wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:45 pm
Ok perhaps not as strong a word as demise, down turn perhaps. What saddens me the most all the Photobucket image blurring, removing so much of the visual elements of these useful posts...
Good point....I used to use Photobucket. What they are doing now is trying to charge us long time users for photo storage on their site.... and if you don't pay, they blur out all of our photos hosted with them. I say F Photobucket .... I'll find another free hosting site. That might be one reason for the slowness.... it's a bit of a hassle to post photos.

HAMAMATSU
Guitar God

Post by HAMAMATSU » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:11 am

8) why they dont talk here anymore when they are talking in the facebook? whats so good/better than here about the facebook?
QUALITY THAN QUANTITY!

villager
Guitar God

Post by villager » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:05 am

even on facebook tokai groups there is very little new info..its mostly..look at my new tokai posts.. I think so much has been found out in the last 10 years that there is simply not so much to discuss any more..

mdvineng
Guitar God

Post by mdvineng » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:03 am

marcusnieman wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:46 pm
8bit Barry wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:45 pm
Good point....I used to use Photobucket. What they are doing now is trying to charge us long time users for photo storage on their site.... and if you don't pay, they blur out all of our photos hosted with them. I say F Photobucket .... I'll find another free hosting site. That might be one reason for the slowness.... it's a bit of a hassle to post photos.
Imagebb seems to be working ok and so much easier to resize and post pics or links
Tokai VSB80 OF, Michael Kelly Patriot custom, Epiphone Elite SG & EB3. 8)

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:58 am

villager wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:05 am
I think so much has been found out in the last 10 years that there is simply not so much to discuss any more..
EXACTLY what I think. Couldn't agree more

Ozeguitarguy
I only know 3 chords

Post by Ozeguitarguy » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:04 pm

I'm baaaack....I'll get the buzz going again. :P
I think that there is less confusion over whether or not a particular Tokai is genuine..mostly because there are just so many of them out in the market these days.
My break from here was enforced...but I'm back for now.
I've mostly been focused on Identifying OTHER MiJ vintage guitars these days..mainly coz I can't stop buying them :lol:
1985 LS80...1974 Diplomat SG...1980 Maya MSG Flying Vee