Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2001 Limited Edition Love Rocks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2001 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, My Korean lefty Gold Top ALS53 sounds nothing like the Epiphone Les Paul I had Briefly, and by that I mean much better. I have always used single coils... strat type, dano type (in a strat and a re-issue lefty U256) and P90's in a bunch of different parts guitars, and I'm a Supro/Harmony/Dano/Junker nut, so the Epi was my first foray into humbuckers. It was cool but didn't sound like what I was expecting, I got the Love Rock on a whim and am blown away. Same pick-up ring problem as mentioned by Richard on the 28th, and the finish had some really small air bubble spots in a few places but it's lighter than the Epi in weight, much more resonant, and still a better finish over the Epi despite the mentioned problems. The Gold Top finish is also better than the Epi's I've seen too. Machine heads are also better.
The pickup selections are all very usable, (I only ever used the bridge on the Epi, all other combinations I found very not so good sounding) My pal has a lefty '83 Gibson ES335 and the Tokai reminds me a lot of the tone I have gotton from playing that.
Being a lefty my Gibson playing time has been limited, to say the least. It's only the last few years that I've managed to aquire a stable of cool stuff, I have managed to keep between 15 - 20 guitars and have 9 amps. Mostly vintage stuff. So anyway, want I'm trying to say is that even though I'm not the humbucker expert by hands on use, I have aprox. 18 feet of records, 1000 CD's, 78's, cassettes, videos,45's, cilinder rolls, 8-tracks too, I've heard a lot of records ( I work a day job in a record shop for the last 10 years as well as playing blues professionally) I hope I can say I know tone. This is, I guess, how we all know to some degree, what just about anything is supposed to sound like. Let's put it this way, I have A Seymour Duncan humbucker I got in a trade and I don't intend to try it out at all. The Love Rock sounds amazing through these two 15 watt class A amps I have, I thought the were just O.K. with all my other guitars but with the Love Rock they are amazing. I almost sold them too! The Tokai pick-ups in the Korean models sound old time!!
Sorry about being so wordy, I'm just very happy about having all that tone for so cheap. Steve

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Guitarslim Jr']

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2001 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed by what you said about the Tokai being lighter than the Epi. Is this cause its a Korean model?

My LoveRock is about the same weight as my Gibson LP, and that aint light! I had an Epi LP (Birdseye Classic) which was nice, but nowhere near the weight of a standard LP (not an LP Standard), and it pales into insignificance against my Tokai.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Skybone']

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that someone is selling Mike's 2001 LE Love Rocks on E-bay right now. And it AIN'T Mike!!
Complete with tags! To quote Jerry Seinfeld: : "WHAT is UP with THAT??"

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Barry']

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2001 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears ???

How much you want to bet it is Mike selling under a different identity? He should be kicked off ebay !

[Anonymously Posted by: 'anna']

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2001 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WOULD HIRE MIKE TO WORK FOR MY STORE ANY DAY!
MIKE IF YOU READ THIS, LETS TALK!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'TRAVIS']

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello to all of you out there!

i recently bought a love rock that was built in 2000, a korean model, but i think it is the same as the 2001 le model (2 piece mahogany body, tokai paf pu's). i definetely love this axe, although i have to admit i am only playing now for about a year, and thus do not have much comparison or expertise. i can only tell the HUGE difference between this and the epi lp studio i had before - wow, what a piece of crap this was, it didn't stay in tune for half an hour, the frets were extremely thick, the soud was pretty dull etc etc. (anyone want to buy it from me?
after i got the guitar, i installed a gibson 57 classic (neck) and a classic plus (bridge), and that did it even more!! the sound before, with the tokai pafs, was very high and almost brittle (i guess, due to the 1,5 cm maple top), and with gibsons it changed to a much warmer tone, producing exactly this warm, round and full sound i was after when switched to the neck pu and driven through my marsh jtm 60 on the boost channel with gain set to 9 o'clock. simply great.
craftmanshipwise, i don't know what much could be done any better; there was 1 little, little bubble on the cutaway, the action was too low, but who cares? and now finally i am coming to my

main question:

when the pu switch is set to middle position and i turn off one pu, the other doesn't give any sound any more. only when i turn the muted pu back up a little, the other pu comes back fully. thats really strange. because, even though i changed the pu's, i copied the original wiring pattern completely, and already then i noticed that it was different from what gibosn does in their lp's.

does any of you out there in the wide world have experienced anything similar? and, if so, what did you do about it?

greetings from oliver, bremen, germany

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Oliver G.']

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2001 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo Oliver,

das ist die Originalverschaltung der PU's bei allen Les Pauls, also auch bei den Tokai Love Rocks. Hast du deine kürzlich bei ebay ersteigert? Die Love Rocks werden wohl in Kürze ziemlich rar, weil sie - wie ich gehört habe - auch nach Deutschland nicht mehr importiert werden dürfen. Ich habe soeben auch eine japanische LS-70F in Cherryburst erstanden und bin auch hochzufrieden mit dem Teil, werde aber auch wohl die PU's austauschen. Wenn die Classics bloß nicht so teuer wären.

Gruß, Stephan

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Stephan']

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi stefan,

i did not buy it via ebay, but via the person that sells tokais on ebay germany. that the wiring i described is the original from the gibsons, i did not know, and, to be honest, it doesn't give much sense to me, either. any enlightenment here?

i keep to english because maybe others can gain something from our discussion. but thanks for answering anyway!!

ps:i bought my pu's via the internet for 200 DM each, half a year ago. i forgot, where, though.

greetings,

-oliver

[Anonymously Posted by: 'oliver g.']
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: