Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help dating a surf green explorer tokai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pauluz
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Need help dating a surf green explorer tokai Reply with quote

Hi there! i'm a noob here but i am eagering to get some information about a very strange guitar i recently bought in a secondhand store. It's an explorer model, only surf green and without pickguard. It has only one humbucker positioned close to the bridge, one tone and one volume knob.

I found a picture on tokairegistry but they didn't tell what year they are from and what wood is used etc. Here is the pic, it's the one in the lower left corner: http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/oldies_f1.jpg

The neck is bolt-on, with 4 bolts. It has string-locking thingies on the head, which is also surf green coloured. It has 'Tokai' and 'Electric Guitar' written in gold on the headstock, below that it says 'the quality musical instruments of the world'. Next to that is a small bird with the words 'original series', the bird is also stamped in the floyd rose style tremolo bridge, along with the words EXTRA TOKAI.

There is a serial number at the back of the head: 3031847
There is also an oval black sticker with 65 on it.
The tuners are 'deluxe' and that was it basically.
I like the neck very much, pretty low action, almost no fret wear..

i bought it for €140, that's about $150. Does anyone have more information about this guitar or the 'original series' in general?

thanks, Pauluz.
btw nice forum!
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total
pauluz
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks loverockerUK , too bad there is no 1983 catalogue, or is the 'Tokai Oldies
Fender and Gibson copies, date unknown'-catalogue from 1983? it does feature my guitar under page 9: heavy metal
The model number would be: EXD 65, with a maple neck and pallisander fretboard. Still, does anyone know what wood was used for the body and what the current marketvalue of such a guitar would be?
thanks,

pauluz
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
pauluz
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks a lot, i'm just gonna use it as second guitar, maybe screw a white explorer pickguard on it and wait till everyone wants those pointy surf green 80's metal guitars and trade it for a tele or something
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: