Guitar Shopping: Whats Going On?"

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaiguy

Reaction score
Stopped into a shop here in Dallas that has been around about 30 years, some of the inventory I know for a fact has been there 22years. In 95' I bought a perfect Breezysound 52' for $190 without a case. They stand a guitar upright against the wall and then the next on leans on the first and so on, Ten Deep! Lot's of Peavy,Aria,Cort,Harmony etc...New guitars are Jay Turser, Epi,Fender, and Peavy. So I ask the salesman if he has any Tok's stashed inthe back. There was a powder blue sunburst Explorer with a bolt on Hocky stick, and a V in red from the same batch! I passed, so he offers me a Japanese NOS Fernandes 62' strat in gold $950! LOL! Then he offers to "Find "a Tok for me But it's not gonna be cheap! A Japanese Strat AST,TST will start at $1000! I guess the word is out about this little club of ours! If you saw this years Guitar World buyers guide you know that most new guitars are priced like a used car so I guess it stands to reason the price of my Drug of choice is getting out of hand. There was a Korina Ibanez Rock and Roll V, neck repair, Gibson speed knobs, one EMG pup...Very rare? $1500 I'm gonna stick with the Net to get my fix! :D TG

Hey tokaiguy,

The store you're talking about wouldn't be ZOO Music, would it? I grew up in Dallas in the 70's and used to go there often. I remember being amazed at how many guitars they had, just lying (as you say) on top of each other. I went back a couple of years ago and couldn't find ZOO music in the phone book, so I'd assumed they gone out of business or moved or something.

If it is ZOO, where are they now? I'm heading there for Thanksgiving and might check them out again.

Thanks,
Bill

:D We have a winner! Dave Andersons Zoo Music! It must have been a while ago since you were here! They moved to Garland Road just south of Jupiter next to the Goodyear store and in front of the bowling alley. They also have a store on NGarland Rd next to the old Arnold and Morgan store which is now Spier Music. Dave the owner is in the Ft. Worth location. I'll bet you will see a lot of the same guitars you saw the last time you were there :lol: ! There are some old Vox amps up against the window that they want too much money for, I dont think it's the amp that costs so much ,I think you're paying for them to move everything to get to them!! :eek: There was a recent Pawn shop prize in a magazine talking about the Legend Amps from the 70's/cane speaker cover and blond wood cabinet/ 100wt solid state should sell for under $200. They want $450! I guess you gotta make a living! When you get there look for the Maple glo Rick 360/12 that looks like it's used for Archery, and the Powder blue Tok Explorer! I promise they will be there!! :roll: TG

8) Hey Bill, Charly's Guitar Shop moved across the Railroad tracks on Royal lane. But don't bother ...Mark Pollack sold the place 2 years ago and nobody hangs there anymore. The original shop is a Vietnamese discount store!! When they moved the Mojo moved too! :( There are no great stores left ,Frets and Strings is gone! The Wal-Mart of gear {Guitar Center} killed the independents! :cry: TG

Latest posts

Back