Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neck Thickness: Everyone Has a Different Idea What It Means

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guitar hiro
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Neck Thickness: Everyone Has a Different Idea What It Means Reply with quote

We have all heard the descriptions used for guitar neck thickness, and to be honest none of these descriptions actually mean much of anything.

One man's 'thick' neck is another player's 'anemic' neck.
One player's 'medium' thickness neck could be another's small, or even large thickness neck.
Some players say it's a '58 thickness, a '59 thickness, a '60s neck, etc.
None of that actually means a thing.

Then, throw in the other variables such as extra 'shoulder,' little to no shoulder, and other profile attributes.
The profile could make for a fuller feeling neck, or it could make the neck feel like it's missing something.
Neck profiles however do NOT contribute to neck thickness.

So, what is the easiest way to quantify neck thickness? I use a digital micrometer.
I measure neck thickness at fret 1 & at fret 11, just as demonstrated in the BOTB.
The BOTB 'Burst Neck Thickness Summary' is a pretty good example (IMO) of how to reference neck thickness for Gibson style guitars.
This however only holds true if one has the means to accurately take neck thickness measurements.
If you have a reliable micrometer, and you actually know how to properly use it, then you are good to go.

I do understand that guitarist in general do seem to gravitate toward the lazy side of the general spectrum so, foregoing the above is certainly much easier to accomplish.

Now, let the complaints begin.
felixcatus
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you , describing neck shape as thick, medium, thin, don't tell me much.

I like to use solder wire and micrometer to give an idea
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous information, guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: