Have I just bought a fake breezysound? - no serial number...

Tokai guitar discussion

Moderators: ian, ned

J.E.M.
Guitar God

Post by J.E.M. » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:56 am

jonah65 wrote:It's got a three screw truss rod cover, so not Japanese. :(
Pretty sure this is 100% correct, sad face emoji...

76pete76
Plucker

Post by 76pete76 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:12 pm

OK so regarding the SG it does seem to look very similar to the Chinese custom 3 pups out there. Only thing giving a glimmer of hope is the serial number he has given me is 090253 (although the seller hasn't supplied a photo of serial number I trust the guy believes this is a genuine Japanese model he is selling)

I have been through the registry and the only other 6 digit serial numbered SG's are listed as Japanese (064470 and 081038).

Was there any known period when a 3 screw TRC was used on MIJ models?

Failing all this and it is conclusively MIC / MIK.... I have only paid a £50 deposit and the sale price is £200 is it still worth getting at that price? I could ask for my deposit back as it was sold on the understanding it was Japanese, although its a private sale so I would be relying on good will to return the.

I have a very small guitar collection and there is a hole where an SG should be so I am tempted, but likewise space is at a premium in our small terraced house so her who shalt not be named will need a pretty good excuse each time I introduce a new bit of kit....

What would y'all do?

mdvineng
Guitar God

Post by mdvineng » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:34 am

no MIJ had 3 screws and £200 isn't much. check utube for reviews of some of the tokai Chinese versions, opinion seems to be on the good side and not the avoid side. expect some setup and minor finish issues that are easily sorted.