Is this a LS320?

Tokai guitar discussion

Moderators: ian, ned

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:00 am

The implications of the first three sentences of my first post have been proven to be correct.

The seller clearly has some issues.

On a side note:
My 2000 LS-320 does not have the model number stamped in either pickup route.
I have seen some examples that do, and other examples that do not.

Is my 320 for sale? :lol:

aroomstudios
Guitar God

Post by aroomstudios » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:06 am

@Paladin2019

He got mad at me for making him tear the guitar apart and take pictures of it. Then told me to stay off his site. Then said he was not trying to scam anyone. What I find hard to believe is that they did not know before. The store has a guitar listed for $70,000 USD. Then plenty of other guitars for sale for $6,000+ USD in price. So it blows my mind that the store (with 30 years of selling very expensive guitars) would buy a guitar without doing 10 minutes of research on it first. I bet they had the warranty card due to the mint nature of the guitar and original cellophane wrap still on it and just chucked it out to try and pass it off as a 320.

They finally just pulled the guitar from Ebay, Reverb and their own website. They have a negative feedback on Ebay for leaving out a very important detail and the buyer have to open a claim to get their money back. So, it sound like they have a history of doing this to other buyers.

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:54 am

I thought this Tokai looked familiar so, I did some digging around.

Looking through my Reverb messages I discovered I sent the seller(s), Gary and Mercedes Hernandez, a message about this Tokia back on May 12, 2018.
Here is an excerpt from my message to the seller.
"I noticed your listing states Mahogany for the body & neck, which is correct but it should be Honduran Mahogany, as that is the spec."

I wasn't interested in a purchase, since I already own the best LS-320 on the planet, so, I didn't pay much attention to the photos, and the lack of detailed photos.

Anywho, this thread is yet another good re-enforcing reason for potential buyers to always do your home work, and press sellers for good responses to your questions about a potential purchase. 8)

Paladin2019
Guitar God

Post by Paladin2019 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:03 pm

aroomstudios wrote:@Paladin2019

He got mad at me for making him tear the guitar apart and take pictures of it.
Well, it clearly needed to be done for everyone's sake including his. Good to see the listing is removed (for now), it shows that someone somewhere is listening and a buyer has been protected. Job well done all around.

t.olsen
Guitar God

Post by t.olsen » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:24 am

Well I got some really funny news regarding this case :lol: After I saw the cavity pics here yesterday I left the seller this message in ebay :

I wonder why you offer this guitar as a LS-320 if you should clearly know without fret edge binding and with 200 written in the cavity that it is a 200 only ? Further I wonder why you are asking the price for a 320 if you must know it is a 200 ??? Will inform ebay about that fraud...

Last night the answer came in and I am still laughing now :

Glatzkopfiger Bastard. Kummere Dich um Deine eigenen Anglegenheiten und bleib wo Du Dich auskennst. Kaufe 2 Dollar Autoteile fur Deinen scheib Porsche. Leckmich am Arsch, Glatze!
My German is a bit rough. Basically, what we say in America is go (*&) off.
Thanks, Gary

here's the translation for his not so bad german part :

Bald bastard.Take care of your own business and stay where you are at home.Buy 2 dollar parts for your bl00dy Porsche.Kiss my arse baldy.

Gary 's pissed I guess ;-)

Paladin2019
Guitar God

Post by Paladin2019 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:31 am

I've actually come to believe he deserves the benefit of the doubt over the incident and was quite possibly deceived by the person he is selling the guitar for, and I've said as much in private discussions with another forum member.

However there's no excuse for this childish and unprofessional behavior, which is doing more damage to his reputation and business than a bad advertisement ever could.

brokentoes
Guitar God

Post by brokentoes » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:54 am

Glad i didn't offer him the $800 that i think it's worth.

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:54 am

Mr. Hernandez has relisted his Tokai (correctly) as a LS-200 but the desrciption of the body & neck lumber, and the fingerboard are INCORRECT.

https://reverb.com/item/12070201-gorgeo ... shell-case

"The guitar has a Honduran Mahogany back & set-neck with a Jacaranda fingerboard."

When dealing with sellers like this, that obviously do NOT check their facts, or just out & out lie, IMO it's advisable to consider such sellers as con men.

DYODD

aroomstudios
Guitar God

Post by aroomstudios » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:14 am

Yes, I saw that last night. i was going to post here about it but did not. The guy did not change the description just the 320 to 200. What is wrong with this guy. He flips out at me last month because I contact reverb and had the listing pulled. Give me some BS story about his daughter running the store and it was a misunderstanding. Then he told me to please contact reverb and tell him he is a good guy. Which I did NOT do. Apart from flipping out at me he flips out at t.olsen on Ebay also. This guy has issues and does not even spend 5 minutes to research an item before listing it.

brokentoes
Guitar God

Post by brokentoes » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:46 pm

He's waiting the hook the big one.

25% off sale till Xmas Eve.

"In our 30+ years of business, Customer Service has always been of the utmost importance to us. Every call, email and inquiry will be answered. We are happy to offer full descriptions of condition and sound of all of our instruments to the best of our expertise."

It's how you word things that count rofl

t.olsen
Guitar God

Post by t.olsen » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:24 am

Paladin2019
Guitar God

Post by Paladin2019 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:16 am

I've continued to give him benefit of the doubt and sent a very civil message to his ebay account about the specs.

brokentoes
Guitar God

Post by brokentoes » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:41 am

It looks like he has changed the specs now to reflect the truth.

Price seems high, however there is a "Make an Offer" option. It does look to be in good shape as well as the OHSC.

What would people here think it is worth ?? I think my Tokai prices seem to be out of date with the times.

Paladin2019
Guitar God

Post by Paladin2019 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:10 pm

brokentoes wrote: What would people here think it is worth ?? I think my Tokai prices seem to be out of date with the times.
The come up so rarely it's hard to say (possibly rarer than 320's?).

Unlike on the 320 the hardware and electronics were nothing special. The main selling points were the lacquer finish, solid flame top, 1 piece back and, most distinctively, the ebony fretboard. I've never seen an ebony fretboard on a Les Paul Standard type anywhere else.

At the time this one would have been £1200GBP new if that's any guide.

brokentoes
Guitar God

Post by brokentoes » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:37 pm

Thanks Paladin2019 for the info.

I'm not a fan of overly red bursted LP's but i do think Tokai does a nice job on their Heritage Dark Cherry. I'm sure if that guitar sells the buyer will be impressed.