Goldstar Strat 1984 tuners

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slippery Jack

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the tuners on a 1984 Tokai Goldstar Strat are nickel or chrome? I think nickel, but a mistake will cost me £25. Thanks for your help.

I broke one of mine when the guitar fell over. I've had it from new. Gutted.

Nickel. Will that is what I order for mine. All my ST-xx series from the early 80s and my LS-xx from the 80's. I have locking tuners on all my guitars. Like all my guitars. I order the

Gotoh SD91-MGT 6-In-Line Vintage Style Locking Tuning Keys, 15:1 - NICKEL

for the strats and similar inline guitars like teles etc

then

Gotoh SD90-MG-T Magnum Lock Vintage Style Locking Tuners for Gibson 3x3 Nickel

For Les Paul, SG etc type guitars.

They are a direct drop in for the Tokai and Tokai type guitars. I only replace the tuner and two screws and keep the same shaft post that was in there before. Perfect drop in.

Easy(ish) way to tell the difference between chrome and nickel plate, especially old plate.
Look at it from an angle. Chrome has a blueish tint to it, nickel has a yellowish tint.
In addition, whether it's nickel, chrome or gold, there IS nickel plate there, anyway - chrome and gold MUST be plated on top of nickel plate. Also, gold doesn't dissolve in sweat - it wears off, but doesn't dissolve in anything that wouldn't kill you. If you experience problems in gold or chrome plating, 99.9% of the time the problem is in the nickel underneath it...

So if you've had it from 1984, I would probably think to get a set of Gotoh SD-91 Aged tuners. In that way theyhave the nice patena that normally takes Years to achieve.

Latest posts

Back