Which Love Rock can this be?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starmies4

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum, and totally new to Tokai guitars. I need some indications/specifications about a Love Rock.

I can swap my old Honda CX500 bike for a Tokai Love Rock guitar. Of course I only want to swap with a high end Japanese Love Rock (by now I know that there are Chinese and Korean Love Rocks, low-end Japanese ones and high-end Japanese ones).
So far I know from the serial of the guitar it’s a Japanese Love Rock from 2001. But, what is the type of the guitar? The owner does not know it, and I have no clue. Is it a LS or an ALS? And if it’s a LS is it a LS-95 of LS-50 or LS-…… or whatever? Or an ALS-50 or ALS-…….? There are so many types that I don’t have a clue to search in a specific direction.
For sure it’s not a guitar with a fancy top. Maybe even it does not have a real top, but only a solid one-layered body.

I only received some – not so good – pictures of the owner. Can someone give me an indication about the type of the Love Rock? Is it a lower end or higher end guitar so far you can see? And the price range?

Of course, I don’t expect an exact answer, there is not enough information for that. But your thoughts about the guitar, an indication of what you think which type it is, will be very, very welcome.

front.JPG
(alt+p)

back.JPG
(alt+p)

serial.JPG
(alt+p)

https://imgur.com/a/fPxSQOB (alt+p)

Looks like what is know as an "Inkie" from 1980. They were made not in the main Tokai factory, outsourced ??I believe they were all lower end models and your 3 piece top kinda confirms this. I'm sorry i don't have much knowledge other than that.

HI brokentoes, wow, that is immediately great info you give here. Then the guitar would be a LS50 (or maybe an LS60) from 1980. The LS50 in that time had a 3-top and a multiple piece body. According info on the internet.

I thought it was a guitar from 2001, looking at the serial number. But indeed it looks like the serial is inked en not stamped. And 01 is indeed an "inkie" number from 1980.

Hi guys,
This is indeed a 1980 LS-50 made in the Nagano factory, not Hamamatsu. Apart from the Serial number, the double cream, double pole uncovered pickups are also an indicator of the age of this guitar. Later models have double black, single pole pickups - generally with chrome covers.

regards
Peter

Hi Peter, thanks for the info. Did not know that about the Nagano factory. Well, I think this makes it a little 'vintage'. The value is about 600 euro?

Back