How common are Tokai double cut Juniors?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikeymikey

Reaction score
Someone has loaned me a cherry red 2014(I think!) model and it's a really good guitar. Having owned an original 1959 Gibson LP Junior I can say that this is not far off to being everything that guitar was, which was seriously great. A bit heavier but not too much so. How much do these retail for and are there many around? I've not seen one before and I'm very impressed. I think this has a Fralin dog ear in it and Kluson 3plates added. A tortoishell guard would have been cool but not essential. Tokai scores again!

I've been looking for a doublecut junior for some time without any luck - any brand (Greco, Burny, Bacchus, etc). I don't have $5K to spend on a vintage one either.

So I had one built by Revelator guitars (www.revelatorguitars.com ) here in the states and it just kills. Nitro, 59 neck profile, Lollar P90, Tonepros bridge..... couldn't be happier for less than $2K for a hand built.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh60RiklAIx/?taken-by=revelator_guitars

I have one from 2000, mustard yellow bought 2nd hand, a hair under 6 Lbs. I put a different P90 in it and a faber aluminium wraparound bridge. I love the simplicity of a junior ... balls out rock and roll. Of course since then a few more Tokai's have followed me home.

27yve48.jpg

marcusnieman said:
I've been looking for a doublecut junior for some time without any luck - any brand (Greco, Burny, Bacchus, etc). I don't have $5K to spend on a vintage one either.

So I had one built by Revelator guitars (www.revelatorguitars.com ) here in the states and it just kills. Nitro, 59 neck profile, Lollar P90, Tonepros bridge..... couldn't be happier for less than $2K for a hand built.

That's a killer looking TV white Marcus. Congrats !!!

brokentoes said:
marcusnieman said:

That's a killer looking TV white Marcus. Congrats !!!

Thank you.... can't put it down! Check out his builds on his website - mostly Fender types and meticulously done. Mine took about 4 months from date of order and well worth the wait.

4 months seems like a great turn around. So many horror stories out there its good to know some people have their act together. Pricing seems fair as well. My countries currency is in the dumpster right now along with Cites shinola has curtailed my GAS quite a bit. Probably for the better lol.

iam said:
You know you can order one directly from Tokai right? www.theguitarshop.jp ;)

I don't see a double cut junior on their website or in the catalog they show. Would it be a custom order build?

marcusnieman said:

I hope you got Honduran (body & neck) & Brazilian 'board for that price

Less than $2000 U.S. and you want a Brazzy board as well ?? Guitars must be way cheap where you are from guitar hiro.

the DC Jr. is as simplistic a solid body guitar construction gets.

No binding anywhere, minimal effort for inlays, single/small route for a pickup, single/small route for two pots, round over bit for the body top & back, etc.

Again, the simplest, easiest, quickest to construct glued neck solid body known to man.
Also, there are a ton of luthiers out there working in a very tight, competitive market.
Many of these luthiers do still have supplies of Honduran & Braz.

~$2K for such a build would not be a problem whatsoever.

All the more power to you hiro. I couldn`t find any luthier worth his salt in my country to hand make me a Jr. guitar with those specs for that little money. People here expect to be paid for their skill. Brazzy board would be an up charge even if the builder had a warehouse full.

Enjoy your guitar Marcus !!

tons of top notch makers here in the states in a very competitive market, ready to deal for such an easy build, and with quality timbers

Hiro, sounds like you don't think I did any vetting of the builder or the guitar itself before I pulled the trigger. I've been looking for a double cut Junior for quite some time and could not find one other than going for a vintage Gibson at the tune of $5K plus for the condition I was looking for.

My pal Johnny Moeller (Fabulous Thunderbirds) turned me on to the Revelator brand - he has two of them with one of them being a Tele that he let me noodle around on and it was probably one of the best feeling, playing and sounding Telecasters I've ever had my hands on.

Have a look at the Revelator website www.revelatorguitars.com for their work. These are not mass produced relics (like Nash guitars have become). Each one is hand crafted and there is great direct communication with the owner - Eric Stein. He listened to specifically what I wanted and delivered in spades - nitro finished lightweight mahogany single piece body and neck, 59 neck profile with a 12" radius, 17 degree headstock angle, vintage fret profile (wide medium jumbo), Lollar P90, Tonepros locking wrap tailpiece, etc. I also didn't want a cheesy looking relic either.

As for the rosewood and specific mahogany, I've just emailed Eric to confirm the genetics of it.

For a custom build at $1875 delivered in a gorgeous tweed hardshell case, I'm as happy as a cat with a piece of string. And I haven't even mentioned how it sounds....... haven't put it down since it arrived. I've done several gigs with it at volume (I'm not just plinking about in the living room) and it just kills. I'll need to put up a proper bunch of photos.....

Oh, I know you did your home work Marcus; no doubting that :lol: and I did check pretty much everything on their web site before posting

Was just hoping you had some lumber upgrades; that's all

as long as you are happy with it that's all that counts; enjoy :D

This Junior my friend lent me is very nice but after playing it for two weeks I find the fingerboard a little flat. I couldn't give a **** about what the wood is, it sounds right and it plays pretty good apart from the flatness. I think thats just because I'm used to the old Fender radius now and cant go back, although this seems flatter than my two '64 Juniors fretboards. Shame, as I would buy it otherwise to use when I'm in the UK. Much as I love Juniors I cant live with the limitations anymore, for me Telecasters are my preference these days and I wish I'd got into them earlier now. :oops:

spikeymikey said:
This Junior my friend lent me is very nice but after playing it for two weeks I find the fingerboard a little flat. I couldn't give a **** about what wood is, it sounds right and it plays pretty good apart from the flatness. I think thats just because I'm used to the old Fender radius now and cant go back, although this seems flatter than my two '64 Juniors fretboards. Shame, as I would buy it otherwise to use when I'm in the UK. Much as I love Juniors I cant live with the limitations anymore, for me Telecasters are my preference these days and I wish I'd got into them earlier now. :oops:

I played Strats exclusively for over 20 years; sonically extremely versatile with the 3 pickups & the 5 way switch.

My favorite (single) pickup selection on a Strat is the neck pickup & also on Gibson style guitars, just to a slightly lesser degree.

I have tried multiple brands of Jrs. (even sold Marcus an Edwards Jr. many years ago) but I could never get used to (my perceived) lack of sonic versatility with Jrs.

I could never get that neck pickup tone with a Jr. :cry: but I solved that with LP Specials :D

I agree. I find I need the neck pickup more in lower volume situations. It's almost essential to me now. Rolling off treble on a bridge P90 doesn't get you anywhere near that tone. But still..... :wink:

marcusnieman said:
iam said:
You know you can order one directly from Tokai right? www.theguitarshop.jp ;)

I don't see a double cut junior on their website or in the catalog they show. Would it be a custom order build?

It can be. Or check with Gottfried of this forum if he has any on order?

Back