Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1981 LS-100s with mahogany top
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: 1981 LS-100s with mahogany top Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokai-1981-Love-Rock-Model-LS-100S-Mahogany-Top-1981/282955524324?epid=26017401242&hash=item41e176a8e4:g:l6kAAOSw2cVaoMEu

First of all this says it had been re-fretted and all the other stuff the description says. Since it was re-fretted or so they say. I really have no way of knowing this is a premium model. Could just be a ls50. The only real test is put some acetone on a small area and see if the finish in nitro. Nitro=premium model. Anyways, my real question. Is a Love Rock Standard like say a ls-80 or 100 with a mahogany top the same thing as a custom lc-100 or so? I know the custom would have gold hardware and so on block markers etc. But sound wise would they be the same?
guitar hiro
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubt it is a 100 level LS but man, that is one heavy girl
wulfman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.4 kg is hefty, not heavy IMO.
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my two ls-80s from 1981 are also about the same weight as that one. I think one is close to 10lbs one about 9 lbs. The 100 is 9.7lbs or 4.4kg.

Do any of you guys know if this will sound like a custom? Ls series with a mahogany top should be the same thing as a LC custom right? LC-100 is one piece back nitro finish. The ls-100 is one piece back nitro finish. I know the gold hardware block inlays extra binding around the body will be different. But sound wise?
guitar hiro
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'hog is 'hog so it should have the warmer tone of an all 'hog Custom, IMO
duff
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lc100 has an ebony board, ls100 rosewood.. i doubt anyone can hear the difference between the two, but i also think thats the same for a maple vs mahogany cap..
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a huge difference with the cap. When I compare my 1981 ls80 maple cap to my Burny 1978 Custom mahogany. There is a huge difference with sustain. This is the same as past Gibson Les Pauls I have owned custom vs standard and so on.

As per the fret board ebony vs rosewood. I think there may not be a difference at all or if there was it would be very small.

Unless there is something else with the difference with a custom and a standard that brings the huge sustain I would say it is close to 100% the mahogany cap.

Anyone else think differently or know something I am missing?
_JDZ
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at Ebay, it is listed by (at least) five sellers.

If you are seriously considering it you need to find who actually has it for sale.
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know it is listed by multiple sellers. I do not know why they do that in Japan on Ebay. I have seen that many times before with other items in the past. Ebay has a really good customer service so if I do not get the item I will get my money back. I am not really worried about that. I am just wondering if this is worth it or if I just just spend a bit more and get a LC-100. I like heavy guitars at least heavy Les Pauls (9-10lbs). The thing I did not like about the LC-100 is it is light. Well at least the ones I hear about here are in the 7lb range. I already have 5 Les Paul type guitars right now (one custom Burny 1978, two standards with humbuckers Tokai ls80 1981 and two with p90's new Tokai and Warmoth). So, really the last thing I need is more Les Paul's. I just thought this one might be cool. I am going to think about this one for a few weeks if I do decide to do anything. If someone else buys it first I am not going to lose any sleep over it or anything.
_JDZ

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can be a large difference in price between the actual seller and those on Ebay.

Yes, here it is:

https://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop4836/DS04198000/
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is cool it is less. I tried for the life of me to register at Digimart. I keep getting

Please enter your furigana with hiragana.

I have no idea what that means. Tried googling it and still cannot figure it out. I will try again tomorrow

Any of you guys registered at Digimart and know how to do it without speaking Japanese? The language translators translate most things but not everything.
_JDZ

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a proxy buyer like From Japan or Rinkya.

Or you can try to go direct through the sellers web site: http://www.lotusguitars.com/
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you _JDZ. I sent them a email.
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They got back to me. They said they do not ship to USA and they sent me a CITIS link. I know you can get CITIS paper work in Japan in about 3 weeks but I guess they do not want to do it. Either way I could get it from one of the Ebay sellers if I want it.
CliffsComicWorld
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might consider selling this 1980 LS-100 8lbs 1oz
https://flickr.com/photos/147832065@N08/sets/72157667439898138
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: