Tokai Goldstar - is perfect tuning impossible?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodge69

Reaction score
Well, after my last post about intonation, I've uploaded a new video on the subject which I hope will start a bit of discussion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QaB2P-Cnugw&feature=youtu.be

I think I've found that perfect intonation is impossible on an electric guitar.

I believe perfect intonation is possible with the pickups 'out of the way', but a bit of a compromise if you need the pickups closer to the strings. My guitar certainly isn't in tune with the pickups set at Fender spec distance.

I've struggled for years with this, so let's have some ideas.

Hodge

Hi, firstly the tremolo needs to be set correctly before intonation and I'm not a fan of the harmonic method as it depends on where you put your finger on the string, fret it instead, which is how it would be played. Anything with a trem is always a compromise as string tension changes too often. see Dan Earlwine's stuff. And seriously consider adjusting the pole piece heights away from the exaggerated stagger.

my two cents

all the best
Dave

I have owned hundreds of guitars; never intonated a single one. I bet Ritchie Blackmore & many others likely have never intonated their guitars. Why bother?

:lol: Well Ritchie Blackmore probably had his own guitar tech. to do it for him.
If you don't get your intonation right, your guitar will be out of tune at the dusty end of the fret board. :eek:

1. Ritchie's First Strat: A Strat he got second hand from Eric Clapton's roadie. It had a Telecaster neck. Date (?). Ritchie quickly decided that the guitar was unplayable due to intonation problems. Scalloped (?)

Copied from 'STRAT TALK' A list of Ritchie Blackmores' guitars.

https://youtu.be/p556npGyXVo
Steve Hillage has got his sorted, not quite The Salmon Song, but think it proves you can intonate a strat. :lol:

Interesting, recently had a few good intonation sessions on my strats.

Some better than others.

Playing notes solos , you can get away with much more tolerance . Especially if you vibrato or bend a lot on notes.
So I don’t have a problem unless it’s shockingly bad intonation .

But it’s bar chords where I have problems more .
Better though on a vintage neck and frets like ST50 than a Modern fender with med jumbo frets.
Though that’s prob my technique of pressing too hard and pushing notes sharp within the chord .

If I’m playing and recording one thing then I’ll tune by ear to the frets / chords I’m playing in predominantly

Hodge69 said:
Well, after my last post about intonation, I've uploaded a new video on the subject which I hope will start a bit of discussion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QaB2P-Cnugw&feature=youtu.be
Transfers Orly
I think I've found that perfect intonation is impossible on an electric guitar.

I believe perfect intonation is possible with the pickups 'out of the way', but a bit of a compromise if you need the pickups closer to the strings. My guitar certainly isn't in tune with the pickups set at Fender spec distance.

I've struggled for years with this, so let's have some ideas.

Hodge
It's amazing

Back