Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you help identify the model of Tokai Goldtop i bought?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metrofox3000
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Can you help identify the model of Tokai Goldtop i bought? Reply with quote

Hello all
I bought a Tokai Love Rock Goldtop with p90s from a Reverb seller in Japan (Iím in the UK). The serial number puts it at 1985 (5031800), and in the sellerís photos the headstock shows a Ď60í model sticker. I canít find a •60,000 model from 1985; the catalogue spanning late 1984-1985 features a GT with p90s but itís a TLS-70, Ď56 model. I need to work out how to post the pics can anyone help with what model it is? Thanks! Simon

[img]https://reverb.com/uk/item/6043533-excellent-1985-tokai-love-rock-gold-top-vintage-electric-guitar-ref-no-121028#&gid=1&pid=1[/img]
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it is a LS60s. Three piece back no FEBs (fret edge binding). Makes it not a high end model like a ls80 or above. Only choices it could be is a LS50s or a LS60s. Maybe a LS70s but since it has the 60 sticker I would say LS60s. Does it have orange drop caps? I do not think they put the orange drops in the 60s. Not sure if they put them in the 70s maybe.

It is defiantly a s model. The s after the LSxxs means it has p90 pick ups. I have a few guitars from Tokai that are not in the catalog. One from 2010 that has upgraded factory electronics and two I just bought brand new that are high end models far above the catalog numbers. These were guitars they made and brought to NAMM. So, they are custom one offs.

To post images you need the .jpg link like:

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--V5BAignu--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_620,q_90,w_620/v1500454036/gippragowmrrfxtnsu2t.jpg

Then add the Img before and after like you did with the other link.

Last edited by aroomstudios on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
metrofox3000
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much. ĎLS60sí was my first guess too, it stands to reason. But in the catalogues of that time (1984-1985), there isnít an LS60s, only a TLS60 (not Goldtop) and the TLS70 GT. Would there have been other models that just didnít make it into the catalogues? I canít find another GT model from 1985.

Cheers, Simon
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what country the catalog was for. I wanna say it was LSxxs for Japan and TLSxxGT for other places in the world. Or something like that. In America right now the Strats are called ASTxxx then Goldstar. In Japan they were called TSTxxx Goldstar. Same guitar different name depending on what country.

https://reverb.com/news/a-strat-by-any-other-name-the-tokai-springy-sound
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Goldtop !!!! I always wanted one with P90's. Hard to beat really. Still on the hunt !!

Catalogs are only a guideline, not a rule with pretty much all MIJ guitars.
metrofox3000
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brokentoes wrote:
Nice Goldtop !!!! I always wanted one with P90's. Hard to beat really. Still on the hunt !!

Catalogs are only a guideline, not a rule with pretty much all MIJ guitars.

I know, right?!!
Good price at the start, but the Import and VAT to get it into the UK are gonna add a couple of hundred £

I saw they make modern day Goldtops in Japan, with choice woods etc, but theyíre a little more pricey, with the taxes on top of that.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Tokai-LS125S-GT-Electric-Guitar-Les-Paul-Tokais-original-LP-OLD-PU-6String-Gold-/263462216009[/url]
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those from 2010 with P90s. All my other Les Pauls are from the late 70 or early 80s. I wanted a P90 one from that time period but could not find a single piece back one. I think most of p90s are multi piece backs so I just got a never one. Though I paid much less for mine that the asking on the Ebay one. I think I have seen a solid back one but it was 3 times the price of the Ebay one you posted. Not worth it for me.

By the way I think the new Ebay one is a fake Tokai. No SN on the head stock.
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks real enough to me, i think sometimes they blur out the serial numbers. Too rich for my blood. Adding taxes, duty, and exchange on the dollar brings this to well over $2000 Canadian and it doesn't even come with a case.

I wish Gibson would go under so Tokai could come to Canada !! We are such a small market they probably wouldn't even bother though.
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibsons new President really screwed up their company. I heard they are in serious financial trouble. I do not think they would go out of business. Some Chinese company would buy them. They are their guitars would be made even crappier in China.

There are a lot of fake Tokais on Ebay like a lot. Not necessarily fake but Korean or Chinese made Tokais passed off as MIJ ones. A blank serial number is a trigger of maybe that. Could be wrong though.

If you are in Canada this guy from the US sells some of his stuff to Canada. Brand new and good prices. But only the Fender copies not Gibsons.

https://drowninginguitars.com/store/new-tokai-guitars/
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good prices only if you are in the States. Add an extra 40% to the price and its not so good. I prefer to buy used anyway. I wish i had a wraptail Goldtop with P90's but i'm doing o.k. by Tokai.

metrofox3000
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the worst has happened. The Tokai Goldtop finally came to me by courier this morning and... the neck has broken in transit. Iím going to have to try for insurance compensation, first step I guess contact the seller through Reverb.com. It may be irreparable, so if anyone comes across an early Ď80s MIJ Goldtop with P90s, Iím a buyer :-/
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah man that's a tragedy. Sorry for your loss.
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that sucks. Talk to Reverb about this. They have a really good policy about a lot of problems. A few months ago I bought a Eventide h3000 that had problems with it. The seller would not budge or respond to any messages. Reverb said I could send it back they they would fully refund me. Reverb ended up giving me about half my money back and I kept it as is. Either way talk to them they should give you a label to sent it back to the seller. Then the seller can deal with the shipping company directly about this.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metrofox3000 wrote:
Well, the worst has happened. The Tokai Goldtop finally came to me by courier this morning and... the neck has broken in transit. Iím going to have to try for insurance compensation, first step I guess contact the seller through Reverb.com. It may be irreparable, so if anyone comes across an early Ď80s MIJ Goldtop with P90s, Iím a buyer :-/

Horrible.... so sorry to hear that. Out of curiosity, where are you located and where did the guitar ship from? Who was the carrier?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: