Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LS-80 with XLR jack??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aroomstudios
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: LS-80 with XLR jack?? Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokai-LS-80-Love-Rock-Custom-Shop-Flame-Maple-Cap-MIJ-Japan-Les-Paul-Lawsuit/362101172083?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Can anyone explain this? It looks factory and the edge of the guitar on the plug side is flat then finished over. Also, what is up with the 103th where Tokai should be? I have no interest in buying this guitar as I already have 4 older LS series guitars. I just think it is really strange and have never seen anything like this before. Anyone have any ideas?
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say for sure what's going on there. Could 103rd be some kind of military
Dealio ? 1992 is vintage for 1992 but not what we here consider vintage as far as ls80 go. If that's not a veneer top I'd be very surprised. The cavity shot that proves it's solid does nothing but prove it's a tokai.

Highly doubt the xlr Jack is factory
aroomstudios

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at picture 6. The guitar is flattened down at the xlr jack and is then stained/clear coated to blend. The top binding is also flat. I doubt someone did this later and re-finished the guitar to match that would cost too much money. If someone did this later there would just be a curve at the jack like any other guitar. That is the reason it looks factory to me Very strange.
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the jack looks factory. A refinish would destroy the flame veneer.

I also agree that it's a '92 LS80 but I have no idea what's going on with the 103. Again, a refinish would have destroyed the Love Rock Model text.
aroomstudios

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An XLR jack on a guitar is very strange. I wonder if it is actually wired like a normal 1/4 jack just to not get pulled out. Like maybe the owner used the guitar live with a wireless and preferred the XLR as it would not get pulled out. Very strange though and I have never seen anything like this on any guitar from any manufacture.
wulfman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an interesting one I had for a while, a Good Times Tokai. My guess is that 103 is just another example of a custom-order from Tokai.

Good Times (1 of 23).jpg by Harold Wulf, on Flickr
Loudmouse
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old 1970's Gibson Les Paul Signature hollowbodies had an XLR out for low impedance right in to the recording console, as well as a standard 1/4 jack.
aroomstudios

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually makes a bit of sense. So, basically just a passive DI box built into a guitar. Weird, but I can see the point of that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: