LS-80 with XLR jack??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aroomstudios

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokai-LS-80-Love-Rock-Custom-Shop-Flame-Maple-Cap-MIJ-Japan-Les-Paul-Lawsuit/362101172083?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Can anyone explain this? It looks factory and the edge of the guitar on the plug side is flat then finished over. Also, what is up with the 103th where Tokai should be? I have no interest in buying this guitar as I already have 4 older LS series guitars. I just think it is really strange and have never seen anything like this before. Anyone have any ideas?

Hard to say for sure what's going on there. Could 103rd be some kind of military
Dealio ? 1992 is vintage for 1992 but not what we here consider vintage as far as ls80 go. If that's not a veneer top I'd be very surprised. The cavity shot that proves it's solid does nothing but prove it's a tokai.

Highly doubt the xlr Jack is factory

Look at picture 6. The guitar is flattened down at the xlr jack and is then stained/clear coated to blend. The top binding is also flat. I doubt someone did this later and re-finished the guitar to match that would cost too much money. If someone did this later there would just be a curve at the jack like any other guitar. That is the reason it looks factory to me Very strange.

I agree the jack looks factory. A refinish would destroy the flame veneer.

I also agree that it's a '92 LS80 but I have no idea what's going on with the 103. Again, a refinish would have destroyed the Love Rock Model text.

An XLR jack on a guitar is very strange. I wonder if it is actually wired like a normal 1/4 jack just to not get pulled out. Like maybe the owner used the guitar live with a wireless and preferred the XLR as it would not get pulled out. Very strange though and I have never seen anything like this on any guitar from any manufacture.

The old 1970's Gibson Les Paul Signature hollowbodies had an XLR out for low impedance right in to the recording console, as well as a standard 1/4 jack.

That actually makes a bit of sense. So, basically just a passive DI box built into a guitar. Weird, but I can see the point of that.

Latest posts

Back