History of Tokai ES Series guitars?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pongotux

Reaction score
Can anyone educate me on the Tokai ES (MIJ) series of guitars?

In particular:

- What year were they first made (1981?)
- For how long were they made in the 1980s? I see 1981 and 1982 ES100s on the internet, but I don't seem to see any for any other years in the 1980s. Was production stopped?
- If production was stopped in the 80s, when did it begin again? I do see 1990s ES90s for sale, but there don't seem to be many. Were there only very few imported into Europe in the 1990s?
- What are the differences between the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s-era guitars in terms of finish, hardware, woods used, etc?

I have tried researching the above online, but can't seem to find very much information, and the ES-series guitars only rarely seem to have even been included in the Tokai catalogues!

It would be really good if this thread could become some kind of repository for all the information people hold on the Tokai ES guitars.....

Thanks! That's useful to know. I guess there can't be many of those 84 TES in Europe, because I've never seen any for sale.....

Back