Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP: Tokai Reborn Old evaluation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
codename505
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: HELP: Tokai Reborn Old evaluation Reply with quote

Hi,

(I posted the same thing on MyLesPaul forum before I found this forum. I got some good info from there. I'm expecting to get more info)

I need help evaluating my Tokai Reborn Old.

My parents bought me this Tokai Reborn Old in 1980 or so in Japan when I was a kid. I only played it for a year to learn. A year later I bought another guitar which has become my favorite. Since then, this Tokai had been sitting in my parents' closet for over 36 years until I picked it up and I brought it to NY where I live last year.

I would say this guitar is in a pretty good condition for a 37 old years guitar. There are small dents and scratches, nothing too deep. I think some can be buffed out. The chrome at the edge of endpiece is peeled off a little bit. Screws are kind of rusty. I guess those could be replaced easily. Electronics works fine and pickups are original and it sounds great. Frets are good, but it could use some polishing.

serial #0008163, "60" is stamped on the end of the fretboard.

I am not particularly attached to this guitar. Since I have many other guitars, I'm ready to sell it if it is worth something.

Here's the thing. I have no idea if this guitar is worth anything. I've only found out recently that some people see some values in Tokai Reborn Old.

Could someone please tell me how much this guitar could be worth? I guess I wouldn't bother selling it for a few hundred bucks. I just don't know what I should expect of this. So, I want to hear some opinions from Tokai experts.

I have a bunch of photos here.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/102dnh8h71xriyu/AADELJdhwDxhudiuFDpOmSO0a?dl=0

Are there any dealers on here who are interested in selling a guitar like this on behalf of myself?

thanks very much!

IMG_1039
IMG_1048
IMG_1043

Last edited by codename505 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mono
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably sell for anywhere between 800 and 1000 USD I reckon. It's a nice example with some decent figure in the top. It's a real shame you didn't play it more when you were younger, that's likely a killer Les Paul to play!
codename505
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mono wrote:
It would probably sell for anywhere between 800 and 1000 USD I reckon. It's a nice example with some decent figure in the top. It's a real shame you didn't play it more when you were younger, that's likely a killer Les Paul to play!

Haha. I know. It was in the 80's. Everyone had crazy looking guitar. I was into metal and punk rock. Being young and stupid, at the time I thought this Tokai was a guitar for old people! My second guitar was a Jake E Lee style strat and that was flashy enough to satisfy my ego

Glad to know this guitar is worth something now. Thanks.
duff
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codename505 wrote:

I guess 600 usd in 1980 was also not considered as 'cheap'.
Beautiful guitar!
Mick51
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duff wrote:
codename505 wrote:

Beautiful guitar!

In 1980, the JPY was 200 to the USD.
So, more like $300 USD.
Amazing..
codename505
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick51 wrote:
duff wrote:
codename505 wrote:

Beautiful guitar!

In 1980, the JPY was 200 to the USD.
So, more like $300 USD.
Amazing..

I honestly don't remember how much my parents paid for it. I am sure they wouldn't remember it either. but one thing I know for sure is that they didn't want to spend some serious dough on a Gibson LP for a 12 years old kid.
duff
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With inflation, 300 usd would be 891.21 usd in 2017.
Still not that cheap. Nice gift from your parents
codename505
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duff wrote:
With inflation, 300 usd would be 891.21 usd in 2017.
Still not that cheap. Nice gift from your parents

I do remember my father had a high school friend who owned a discount music store in our local town. So, I think he got a massive discount on this.

the thing is that I do remember this Tokai not being very popular at the time. People saw it as poor man's Gibson obviously. So, that explains the discount.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: