Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tokai Ls80 1978 with funny thing on neck
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aroomstudios
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Tokai Ls80 1978 with funny thing on neck Reply with quote

https://reverb.com/jp/item/5372163-excellent-1978-tokai-ls80-reborn-electric-guitar-ref-no-507

Look at picture number 11

It almost looks like the neck is two pieces. Have any of you ever seen something like this? I think this is defiantly a LS80 as it has FEB but the neck thing is really weird.
guitar hiro
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a two piece neck; some of the earliest Tokai LS examples had two piece necks, joined at the 'center line'

Bacchus did the same with their early production white limba aka Korina lumber examples from their 'Vintage Series' line back in the late 1990s
aroomstudios
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

I remember the Gibson Les Paul's (I think Deluxe) from the 1970's that had 3 piece necks. I think they also had something like a 12 piece body or something like that. Those things sounded terrible.

Last edited by aroomstudios on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Mick51
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aroomstudios wrote:

I remember the Gibson Les Paul's (I think Deluxe) form the 1970's that had 3 piece necks. I think they also had something like a 12 piece body or something like that. Those things sounded terrible.

I believe that Gibson LPs went to a 3 piece neck early in the 1969 model year. Well prior to adding the volute or "Made in USA" stamp.
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite expensive for what it is too...
dombat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick51 wrote:
aroomstudios wrote:

I remember the Gibson Les Paul's (I think Deluxe) form the 1970's that had 3 piece necks. I think they also had something like a 12 piece body or something like that. Those things sounded terrible.

I believe that Gibson LPs went to a 3 piece neck early in the 1969 model year. Well prior to adding the volute or "Made in USA" stamp.

Yes, but maple 3 pieces, not mahogany
guitar hiro
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

villager wrote:
quite expensive for what it is too...

disagree; subjective & at best debatable, particularly considering the asking price points on your web site for comparable gear
aroomstudios
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what is the sound difference in the 2 piece neck vs a traditional one piece? Was this just done to make the neck stronger? Or was is cheaper to do?
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes but i have also paid shipping and import duty from japan so when you add that on to the price its expensive

for me to bring that to my door in europe would be 1720 euros with shipping and customs fees, i sell these with a 1 piece neck at 1600 euros, so you can see why i think its quite expensive....
adoring_fan107
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in europe this guitar would be expensive but to say Australia or USA the guitar is priced average. This guitar would cost me 2400 AUD but your LS 80s from europe would be 2800-3000 which I believe to be overpriced.
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes because you don't pay anywhere near the rate of import duty that we in Europe have to suffer.... it works out overall at 25% of the guitar and shipping costs!! so obviously if you buy a guitar which is already in Europe then the seller has already paid these costs to get it there, which is why it is expensive for people in the USA or Oz to buy from Europe as opposed to buying from each other or Japan...
guitar hiro
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aroomstudios wrote:
So, what is the sound difference in the 2 piece neck vs a traditional one piece? Was this just done to make the neck stronger? Or was is cheaper to do?

if the join is properly done likely no difference in sound; two piece could actually be a more stable neck

two piece neck is cheaper to construct because larger bits of lumber are not required
Mick51
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dombat wrote:
Mick51 wrote:
aroomstudios wrote:

Yes, but maple 3 pieces, not mahogany

No. Not maple in 1969.
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that an Inkie ?? I personally don't think a 2 piece neck will make any sonic difference but to each their own. Whenever you drop large amounts of cash on anything it should be what you want. Some people have to have nibs, couldn't play a guitar with a volute or a veneer etc. Don't settle, just get what you want. Saves time and $$
J.E.M.
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitar hiro wrote:
aroomstudios wrote:

if the join is properly done likely no difference in sound; two piece could actually be a more stable neck

two piece neck is cheaper to construct because larger bits of lumber are not required

Strictly from a wood engineering point of view - which we know doesn't mean all that much to guitarists, this thread being an example...

* a 2 piece laminated neck is stronger and more stable, that's why they do it.

* considering the grain needs to be opposing or mirrored in the halves for best results, you can't just put any two pieces of wood together in a neck, so the idea of using smaller pieces or scraps making it cheaper to build is wrong... cutting, selecting, gluing up and machining a neck takes longer than just machining one from a 1 piece blank, again it's done because it's stronger and more importantly it's more stable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: