From the Toronto Guitar Show

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenmac

Reaction score
I was at the Toronto Guitar Show yesterday and saw a Goldstar Sound for sale. The price was $950.00 which I personally think is a little on the high side, but then again when I bought my Goldstar Sound back in 1985 I paid $250.00 for it. :) Because this Goldie at the guitar show was in a tight space I had to take two photos of it.

Looks nice enough. I agree it's a tad high on the price but i guess it depends on the model. Was it a good show ? I didn't go because I have no $$ for anymore guitars.

brokentoes said:
Looks nice enough. I agree it's a tad high on the price but i guess it depends on the model. Was it a good show ? I didn't go because I have no $$ for anymore guitars.

It was okay. There were some interesting guitars but I found the prices for most guitars, amps and accessories to be a little on the high side.

Why is $950.00 CAD too much for a brand new made in Japan Goldstar?

Problem is, made in Japan guitars have been too cheap for the last few decades.

Diamond said:

I didn't say it was too much, I personally thought it was a little bit on the high side. I'm sure others would be happy to buy it for that price.

wulfman said:
It looks like a mid-80's to me. Is it new?

I thought the same thing. I didn't ask about it as it was noisy in there what with at least a half dozen guitarists or so trying out various guitars at the same time.

Diamond said:

Also prices are different here. I got my 2012 MIJ Goldstar AST-70 with Tokai tweed case for $400. It'd be hard to turn around and buy the next one for $950.

brokentoes said:
Diamond said:

Also prices are different here. I got my 2012 MIJ Goldstar AST-70 with Tokai tweed case for $400. It'd be hard to turn around and buy the next one for $950.

I understand, but that was 5 years ago. :)
And, perhaps you got the 2012 at a special price, was the music store having a sale or had them on special?... because that is below the cost price in 2012.

I know the current cost of the AST88 and TST50 models, $950 CAD is the correct price.

Well as we don't get Tokai models here in Canada, or N. America for that matter, the guitar was "used" and therefore only worth roughly half of what it was new. Another reason is perhaps since there is very little brand recognition with Tokai here better deals are to be had opposed to the more known brands such as Fender and Gibson. I certainly don't mind.

Latest posts

Back