eBay 1982 ST-60 Springy Sound questions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenyIsGod

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently found a 1982 ST-60 listed on eBay. Interestingly it has a fully painted neck and headstock, all in black.

The seller says they are not sure whether the paintjob is original or if the neck was finished by a previous owner, have they ever come from the factory like this?

Including shipping this would run £450 what do you think of this? (it sure brings new meaning to the phrase "Black Strat")
I have heard many horror stories of fakes becoming more prominent these days, are there any questions I should be asking a seller before buying?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182586805296?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Without pictures of whats under the pick guard in the routing (tokai codes) etc. Its very difficult to say whether or not this is 100% Tokai. Tokai did offer some ST's with matching paint (body/headstock) so its not out of the realm of possibility. I'm not enough of an expert to offer you any more insight though i'm afraid.

Super Editions were also made in different price ranges, I've seen 40's and 60's, and I have a 1984 with all gold hardware and a lacquer finish, with an intact 80 sticker.

**Bridge is not original**

gbk9AT.jpg

Txa9Ee.jpg

iLyCYF.jpg

That's pretty awesome, J.E.M. Mine has the 40 sticker, and the HB bridge pup has been changed to a Tonerider Rock Song.

Maybe we're getting away from the OP here (my fault), but I have to say that these Super Editions are really great guitars, typical Tokai strat quality. Interesting now that I have a TST50, and a TST80 strat to compare, but IMHO the ground build quality is on such high level on all 80s Tokai strats that the higher numbers feels more like icing on the cake (of course apart from some pups that really change your sound etc).

But what actually surprised me is that the neck is slightly fatter/rounder than the typical TST50 with a slim 60s neck. I would expect a more wide/slim neck from these 80s style inspired strats.

Latest posts

Back