Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

eBay 1982 ST-60 Springy Sound questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenyIsGod
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: eBay 1982 ST-60 Springy Sound questions Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have recently found a 1982 ST-60 listed on eBay. Interestingly it has a fully painted neck and headstock, all in black.

The seller says they are not sure whether the paintjob is original or if the neck was finished by a previous owner, have they ever come from the factory like this?

Including shipping this would run 450 what do you think of this? (it sure brings new meaning to the phrase "Black Strat")
I have heard many horror stories of fakes becoming more prominent these days, are there any questions I should be asking a seller before buying?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182586805296?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without pictures of whats under the pick guard in the routing (tokai codes) etc. Its very difficult to say whether or not this is 100% Tokai. Tokai did offer some ST's with matching paint (body/headstock) so its not out of the realm of possibility. I'm not enough of an expert to offer you any more insight though i'm afraid.
3rdstone
Guitar God

Location: Hagstrom Guitars, ABBA, Yngwie, Meshuggah, Volvo and IKEA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's hard to say without some informing pics. Tokai did some totally black strats in the 80s. I have a Super Edition from around -84 (SD403). It's the same model as the red one on pic below, but totally black like the one on the left.

J.E.M.
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Editions were also made in different price ranges, I've seen 40's and 60's, and I have a 1984 with all gold hardware and a lacquer finish, with an intact 80 sticker.

**Bridge is not original**

3rdstone
Guitar God

Location: Hagstrom Guitars, ABBA, Yngwie, Meshuggah, Volvo and IKEA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty awesome, J.E.M. Mine has the 40 sticker, and the HB bridge pup has been changed to a Tonerider Rock Song.

Maybe we're getting away from the OP here (my fault), but I have to say that these Super Editions are really great guitars, typical Tokai strat quality. Interesting now that I have a TST50, and a TST80 strat to compare, but IMHO the ground build quality is on such high level on all 80s Tokai strats that the higher numbers feels more like icing on the cake (of course apart from some pups that really change your sound etc).

But what actually surprised me is that the neck is slightly fatter/rounder than the typical TST50 with a slim 60s neck. I would expect a more wide/slim neck from these 80s style inspired strats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: